Sunday, November 23, 2014

Baby Restored; Murder Averted; Christians Pay

Six thirty five, on the Spirit of Tasmania.

Mrs Monks and Louis-Claude de Freycinet are first off, in Mrs Monk's car.

They head off, in an easterly direction.

Several more cars roll off, two bicycles, and a horse float.

Now Katherine's car, driven by Rosamunda.

Arthur is in the passenger seat, feeling round in the glove box.

Nothing? says Rosamunda

Doesn't matter, says Arthur. Got my own.

He pulls a long dirty bandage from his pocket.

He ties it round his right knee, which is swollen.

Rosamunda stops the car on the quay, where Gaius is waiting with Unni and Surfing-With-Whales.

They get in.

Where's Louis-Claude? asks Unni.

And where's Terence? asks Rosamunda. Arthur?

I left him on an Ocean Recliner, says Arthur.

Go and find him, says Rosamunda.

My knee hurts, says Arthur.

I'll go, says Surfing-With-Whales.

He gets out and returns to the gang plank.

The friendly crew member who has just said a friendly goodbye to him looks at him sourly.

Sorry, says the sour crew member. You can't go back on.

But I've left stuff on board, says Surfing-With-Whales. A baby, and a lobster.

There was only one lobster, says the sour crew member, and he's got off already, with a lady. I know nothing about a baby.

Another crew member comes up behind him, fortuitously.

Baby? says the second crew member. There was one left on an Ocean Recliner. It's waiting in lost property.

That'll be him, says Surfing-With-Whales.

The crew member goes off to fetch Terence.

So Terence is restored to his fellow travellers, and Surfing-With-Whales has gained news of Louis-Claude de Freycinet.

Guess what? he says to Unni. The lobster's pissed off.

Yes, I suppose he would be pissed off with me, says Unni. That's your fault.

No, pissed off as in 'gone', says Surfing-With-Whales. In a car.

With Mrs Monks, says Terence. She's nice. She has chocolates.

Shit, says Unni, as the news sinks in.

That's heaps good, yeah? says Surfing-With-Whales.

Not really, says Unni.

But that means I don't have to..... you know, says Surfing-With-Whales.

I know! says Terence. Yes you don't. And I saved him.

Great jumping Jupiter! says Gaius, Do you mean you were planning to kill him?

Course not, says Unni.

Ha ha, says Surfing-With-Whales.

Well, time to get going, says Rosamunda. Is everyone ready?

I am, says Arthur.

You should be in the back, says Rosamunda.

Stay there, Arthur, says Gaius. I'll be fine in the back with the others. I don't mind a bit of a squash.

Can I sit on you? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. I must get my notes in order. Now then, Rosamunda, we head west, towards Burnie, and stop off at the Cradle Coast campus.

First we need petrol, says Rosamunda. Who's paying?

The Christians of Blaxland, says Unni, pulling out her well-endowed wallet.

No comments: