Saturday, November 29, 2014

Fragmentation And Synchronicity

The car pulls into Wynyard.

Ying and Stew are a long way behind.

Let's get lunch here, says Rosamunda. And wait for them.

Lunch! cries Terence. I'm having pancakes.

I fancy cheese, says Gaius. Did you mention a cheese factory?

It's a big one, says Rosamunda. They may not sell cheese.

Of course they'll sell cheese, says Gaius.

Let's have lunch first, says Surfing-With-Whales. I'm starving. That place looks good.

They go into Splash Cafe.

There are wonderful views of the deep blue ocean, across the car park, and the food smells delicious.

They order pancakes, squid and salad, pulled pork rolls.

.......

Half an hour later, Ying and Stew coast into Wynyard.

At last, says Stew, looking around. So, where are they?

They'll be down at the Bluff, says Ying. No question.

Fossil Bluff? says Stew. Yeah. They will.

Probably having a picnic, says Ying. And looking for fossils. When's low tide?

Dunno, says Stew. But I'm starving, and they've got our backpacks.

They head out towards Fossil Bluff.

........

That lunch was delightful, says Gaius. And thank you Arthur, for paying.

That's all right, says Arthur. I came across some money I didn't know I had.

Very generous, Arthur, says Unni.

Yeah, says Surfing-With-Whales.

I know a secret, says Terence, but they ignore him.

However, continues Gaius. I still have a hankering for cheese. What say we visit the factory?

No one else wants to visit the cheese factory. So Gaius goes off on his own.

Let's go out to Table Cape, says Unni. There's a tulip farm. And the extinct volcano.

I'll wait here for Ying and Stew, says Surfing-With-Whales.

Good on you, says Unni. Okay, off we go.

......

Gaius has located the cheese factory, which is enormous, and owned by Fonterra.

He attempts to walk in.

Stop, says the guard on the gate. Do you have authorisation?

Authorisation to buy cheese? says Gaius. I didn't think I would need it.

You can't buy cheese here, says the guard. You should go to a supermarket.

Ridiculous, says Gaius. What sort of top secret cheese do they make here?

Bega, and Mainland, says the guard. And other dairy products. Milk.  Ski yogurt, Western Star butter. And milk of course. Last year they produced enough milk to fill six hundred and eighty eight Olympic swimming pools.

My goodness, says Gaius. I must write that down.

I wouldn't write anything down, sir, says the guard. I'd have to report you on suspicion of terrorist activities.

........

Ying is looking for fossils in the shore rocks, and having no luck.

I don't understand it, says Ying. This is where they found Wynyardii Bassiana.

You always expect things to fall into your lap, says Stew. There was only one Wynyardii Bassiana.

At least I'm looking, says Ying. Ooh! Look! Here's a.... .....oh no, it's a peach stone.

You know what? says Stew. I don't reckon they're coming.

Let's call them, says Ying. Do you have anyone's number?

No, only Poppy's, says Stew.

I don't want to call Poppy, says Ying. If she finds out we're not with the team leader.......

Let's go back into Wynyard, says Stew.

They go back into Wynward, where Surfing-With-Whales has been waiting.

And waiting.

And then got bored with waiting, and gone down to the beach.

And then got bored there, and come back.

So he is once again sitting in front of Splash Cafe.

How lucky is that.


No comments: