Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Saver

Louis-Claude de Freycinet returns to the Ocean Recliner.

Hello, says Mrs Monks. Not going back to your cabin?

Not yet, says Louis-Claude de Freycinet.

Don't go, says Terence. We've got chocolate.

Yes, do have a chocolate, says Mrs Monks.

She offers him a chocolate, which he accepts with an old fashioned bow.

I don't know your name, says Mrs Monks.

Louis-Claude de Saulces de Freycinet, says Louis-Claude de Freycinet. Proud lobster and sea captain.

De Freycinet! says Mrs Monks. There's a coincidence.

It is no coincidence, says Louis-Claude de Freycinet. It was I who mapped the coastline.

Well, well, says Mrs Monks. Did you know that, Terence?

My name is no coincidence too, says Terence, licking chocolate from his fingers.

What does it not coincide with? asks Mrs Monks.

Someone called Terence, says Terence. Not me.

Mrs Monks and Louis-Claude de Freycinet are inclined to dismiss this information.

But Terence persists.

When I grow up, says Terence, I grow up to be Sweezus.

There's a coincidence, says Louis-Claude de Freycinet. I know him.

EVERYONE knows him, scoffs Terence.

I don't, says Mrs Monks. And I know a lot of people.

He hates birds, says Terence. Owls in particular. I already don't like them. And he's a Saver.

Very commendable, says Mrs Monks.

She turns to Louis-Claude de Freycinet.

Am I correct in thinking you have split up with your beloved?

Madam, says Louis-Claude. You are perspicacious.

Does that mean yes? asks Terence. Because if it does, then I'm a Saver.

How so? asks Louis-Claude de Freycinet.

I told you not to go back there, says Terence. They're going to kill you.

I suspected as much, sighs Louis-Claude de Freycinet.

Death is not the end, says Mrs Monks, unhelpfully.

Not for you, says Terence. But it is for him. Grandpa says there's only humans in heaven.

Grandpa indeed! says Mrs Monks, who has lost several Jack Russell terriers in her lifetime. Who is he that he thinks he knows that?

Grandpa Marx, says Terence. He has a big beard and knows everything.

Hoot Hoot! Six thirty. Time for the Spirit Of Tasmania to dock at Devonport.

Mrs Monks gathers her things, including the chocolate.

I live on the East coast, says Mrs Monks. Near Bay of Fires. Would you like a lift anywhere?

Yes, says Terence.

Not you dear, says Mrs Monks. You must go back to your Grandpa. I suppose he'll be turning up any minute. I meant the captain, Louis-Claude.

Enchanté, says Louis-Claude de Freycinet. It appears I have jumped out of the frying pan and into the Bay of Fires with the most charming of ladies.

Oh ha ha! What a wonderful turn of expression, says Mrs Monks.

She and Louis-Claude de Freycinet walk off in the direction of the gang plank.

Terence waits on the Ocean Recliner for the next thing that is going to happen.

Someone will come for him.

Soon.

No comments: