Friday, November 28, 2014

Cheese And Volcanoes

Arthur goes down to the bike rack.

All the bikes are locked up with chains.

Furthermore there are students nearby, talking.

This won't deter Arthur.

Hello, says Arthur, going up to the students. Any chance of borrowing a bike for the weekend?

I need mine, says one of the students. 

I could leave you the keys to a car, says Arthur.

Cool, says the student. Sounds awesome.

Want my bike as well? asks the other. Only kidding.

Actually, says Arthur. I need two.

Yeah, but I don't get a car, says the other student.

You do, says Arthur. Wait here and I'll get you the car keys.

He goes back to Poppy's office. 

All organised, says Arthur. 

Good, says Gaius. We shall leave at once. Ying and Stew, I assume you are ready? 

Ready, says Ying. Except for my backpack. It's still in my car.

Mine too, says Stew.

I might as well get them, says Arthur. I have to pick up the bicycles. Just give me your keys.

Too easy.

........

Katherine's car leaves the Cradle Coast Campus, followed by two bicycles.

Rosamunda is driving. Unni is in the passenger seat.

Gaius, Surfing-With-Whales and Arthur are in the back seat with Terence.

Arthur's knee is still swollen, but not quite as badly.

Stew and Ying are riding the bikes.

.......

This is great! says Ying. I love bicycle riding. You can smell things.

Don't you reckon, says Stew, that we might have got done by those jokers?

No! says Ying. Well maybe, But at least they're taking our backpacks. And don't you think Arthur is nice?

I'll pass on that one, says Stew. He never gave back our car keys.

Oh yes! says Ying. Must remember to ask him.

She looks at the scenery. Ocean views, rising hills, broad beaches. And what are those? Tulips?

Ah, says Ying, sniffing the crisp air. We are so lucky.

Yeah, says Stew, as the car with the rest of their party disappears out of view.

.......

When's LUNCH? says Terence.

We'll stop in Wynyard, says Rosamunda. It's not far away. Gaius, you'll enjoy Wynyard.

Yes, says Unni. There's an extinct volcano.

Gaius can't imagine why the girls think he will enjoy an extinct volcano.

And a cheese factory, adds Rosamunda.

Good. At least he likes cheese.


No comments: