Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Exit To Knife

Rumble.

It's François-René's stomach.

Still hungry? asks Belle.

We have wafers somewhere, says Méen.

I like cracking wafers, says Terence.

No wafers, says François-René. I'm toying with the idea of looking for Arthur, who still has my knife.

What a good idea, says Belle. I'll come with you.

We should all go, says Gaius. Especially as no cushions are forthcoming. Any good hotels around here?

The Nuit et Jour, says Maclou. Just across the square. Most agreeable, and pets are allowed.

However, says Méen, I have heard it is dangerous for infants.

I'm not going, says Terence. I'm staying here.

Me too, says Baldy. I'm staying here with my bird.

My bird, says Terence.

And my bird, says Butterball.

Terence is exasperated.

Saint Roley can't be everyone's bird.

François-René has already reached the back door of the parlour.

He has opened it, and peered outside.

He smells steaks cooking, mingled with oysters and pizza.

Arthur will be out there somewhere with the botanists, drinking and discussing literary matters...

Alors! He steps into the night.

Well! says Belle. He might have waited!

You go after him, says Gaius. I shall find the hotel. When you find Arthur, let him know where we're staying. We shall need him tomorrow.

Okay, says Belle, heading for the back door.

.......

This is nice, says Méen. Just like the old days.

What happened in the old days? asks Terence.

The children washed up, says Maclou.

Méen takes a cracked bowl from a cupboard, and fills it with water.

.......

Gaius has found the Hotel Nuit et Jour, and booked into a family room.

Once in the room, he takes the folded cheese bag and the damp cardboard from his back pack and begins the task of comparing the two sets of tidal range figures.

They should be exactly the same.

He becomes so engrossed he forgets to check the room for potential dangers to infants.

.....

François-René and Belle arrive at the Jardin de Bourg.

Arthur, Francine and Albert have been arguing fiercely.

About time, says Arthur. We need your advice.

Really? says Belle. We need some pizza.

I need a good steak, says François-René. And I'd like my knife back.

Arthur pulls out the knife.

Case in point, says Arthur, stabbing at the table.

Francine gets up to order more beer.

No comments: