Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Up To Date With Fate

Arthur, François-René and Saint Maclou have passed the two cyclists.

Botanists, bless them, says Saint Maclou.

I studied botany, says Francois-René.

Did you? says Saint Maclou. I often wondered what became of you.

Knife, says Arthur, picking his moment.

François-René hands him the knife. Doesn't ask him what for.

He has begun telling Saint Maclou his life story: the French Revolution, the trip to America, the Indians, the broken arm, the Napoleon debacle .......

So that ended your brilliant career, says Saint Maclou.

No indeed, says François-René. You must know what became of Napoleon.

I fear not, says Saint Maclou. But I am all ears.

Arthur has finished the chestnuts. He examines the clams. Even Arthur knows not to eat ones that have started to open.

He opens a clam with the knife.

It's warm. But he has faith in Saint Maclou. Anyway, it tastes alright.

He opens another.

Fifteen minutes later, Saint Maclou is up to date with the fate of Napoleon.

Bless the poor fellow, says Saint Maclou.

François-René is now relating the rest of his brilliant career.

Arthur has eaten the clams. All that remains in the box are a few new potatoes.

It is now that they catch up with Gaius and Belle, who have had to stop suddenly.

Arthur! cries Gaius. With a box! Good man!

The baby oystercatchers are lying on the grass verge, gasping for air. One is covered in vomit.

Don't die yet, says Terence, who is kneeling beside them. Baldy is weeping.

It's my box, says Saint Maclou. I'll just empty it.

He takes the box from Arthur.

I had to throw out the clams, says Arthur. They were off. And the rest of chestnuts smelled fishy. You could wash the potatoes.

Dear me, says Saint Maclou, gathering up the potatoes. I'll be back in a jiffy.

He picks his way lightly down the rocks to the sea, to wash the potatoes.

Gaius places the oystercatcher chicks in the box.

What's Maclou going to put his potatoes in? asks Belle.

I don't know, says Gaius. I didn't expect him to bring potatoes.

I know! says Belle. The cheese bag. The one you wrote the estuary tidal range averages on.

I need that, says Gaius.

You can write on the the box, says Belle. Here's a pencil.

She hands him a purple Prismalo.

What a business, says Gaius. Arthur, I trust you will stay from now on.

Y..ulp, says Arthur, stifling a burp, yawn or something......

Maclou returns with his washed potatoes.

Let's all have some melon, says Belle.

No comments: