Monday, September 4, 2017

Halo

Having stopped to look at the puffin, Arthur and François-René are caught up by a fisherman.

A fisherman in a knitted hat, wide at the top, randomly buzzing.

Hello lads, blessings be upon you, says Maclou.

Maclou! says François-René. Good to see you. Where are you heading?

The same place as you, says Maclou.

Walk with us, says François-René. This is Arthur. Arthur, Maclou.

Perhaps Arthur would carry my box, says Maclou.

What's in it? asks Arthur.

A few clams, says Maclou. And several new potatoes. A handful of Radon chestnuts. They're for Méen, my colleague, in Cancale. But the box is for Gaius.

Gaius! We're supposed to be catching him up, says Arthur. What's the box for?

The oystercatcher chicks, says Maclou. Gaius has them in an old shoe.

Okay, says Arthur. Give me the box. Can I try a chestnut?

Of course. Take two, says Maclou.

The chestnuts are hot, and recently roasted, which does not augur well for the clams.

They continue walking along the Grand Randonnée.

I used to meet Maclou and Méen often on this path, says François-René.

Did their hats buzz? asks Arthur.

Is my hat buzzing? asks Maclou. I'd take it off, but these days one can't be too careful.

Skin cancer? asks Arthur.

Halo, says Maclou.

Arthur nearly chokes on his chestnut.

Maclou is Saint Mâlo, says François-René.

Yes, I was tickled to learn that one of the oystercatcher chicks is named after me, says Maclou.

Maclou? says Arthur.

Saint Mâlo, says Maclou. Is it confusing? Maclou, or as I am also known, Maclew, or Machutis. I was born near Llancarfan in Wales. I came here with Saint Brendan, many years ago now. Not so much happens these days. I find lost things and return them. Pig keepers ask me for favours.

A saint. So the clams can't be off, thinks Arthur.

They walk on.

Not far ahead they come upon two cyclists.

Have they caught up with Gaius and Belle already?

The two cyclists have stopped to examine a patch of vegetation.

Cyclist 1: Is that.... horseshoe vetch?

Cyclist 2: It's not flowering at present. Hard to tell. It may be lotus maritimus.

Cyclist 1: Also known as dragon's teeth. But I don't think it is.

Cyclist 2: You're right. It's neither. I believe it's a figwort.

Cyclist 1: Not a figwort. A linaria.

Cyclist 2: Of course. I'd forgotten they've been reclassified.

Cyclist 1: Look a puffin!

(It's that same puffin, again. It's just leaving).

Afternoon, says Maclou to the cyclists.

Afternoon, say the cyclists to Maclou.

Afternoon, says François-René to the cyclists.

Lovely day, says one of the cyclists, to Arthur. Did you see the puffin?

Arthur doesn't bother to answer.

Those chestnuts were excellent. He is thinking of chancing a clam.

No comments: