Thursday, September 21, 2017

We Grow Old And Forget

My parrot is Saint Roley, says Terence.

Then I have good news, says Maclou. Your parrot is at this moment sailing to Cancale. He is approaching an oyster farm.

What about MY parrot? asks Baldy.

Maclou looks at his colleague.

Méen swallows a lump of potato.

Your parrot rests in the hand of god, says Méen.

Yay! says Baldy.

My parrot's luckier, says Terence.

François-René feels he ought to say something.

They are not strictly parrots, says François-René.

Aren't they? says Maclou. What then?

Baby oystercatchers, says François-René.

Even better, for at least one of them, says Méen.

Forgive me, but I'm surprised you didn't know they weren't parrots, says François-René.

We grow old, says Maclou. We forget things. Sometimes our predictions are wrong.

So.... says François-René. But seeing Terence's face, he doesn't pursue it.

....

Arthur's evening has turned a corner.

The Jardin du Bourg does an excellent pizza.

Francine orders beer.

Albert becomes expansive.

I'm writing a novel, says Albert.

What about? asks Arthur.

Life's absurdity, says Albert. A man's mother dies. He doesn't know if it was today or yesterday.

Someone's already written that story, says Arthur.

That's what I said, says Francine, coming back with the beer.

Then what happens? says Arthur.

He takes two days off work and goes to the funeral, says Albert.

Perhaps you could change it right there, says Arthur. Say he doesn't go to the funeral.

Good idea, says Albert. Then what?

Whatever you like, says Arthur. He could go to the beach and get into a knife fight with an Arab.

Just what I was thinking, says Albert.

You were not, says Arthur.

You guys, laughs Francine.

........

At last, Gaius and Belle arrive at the Eglise de Saint Méen.

Terence runs towards them.

Guess what?

Later, says Belle. Give us a chance to recover.

Come in! Come in! says Méen. Maclou, is there any more boiled potato?

Yes, one big one, says Maclou. I shall cut it in half. Sit down my friends, tell us your story.

You know our story, says Gaius. I lent you my bicycle. You went off with our cheese bag. I trust you still have it.

Of course, says Maclou. It had something written on it.

Good, says Gaius, accepting half a cold potato.

Can I tell you NOW? asks Terence.

Yes dear, says Belle. Is it about your cousin? I spotted him in the corner with his mother. He's such a cute little butterball.

NO! says Terence. What cousin?

I'll go and look, says Baldy. You tell them.

Yes, says Terence. You go.

Baldy goes off to look for their cousin, the butterball.

My parrot is coming, says Terence. Baldy's isn't.

We didn't exactly say that, says Méen.


No comments: