Thursday, October 12, 2023

Bare Bum Version

Does this mean I have to sleep on the beach? asks Camus.

Either that or in the police car, says Victor.

With you? asks Camus.

No, says Victor. Locked in, on your own. Would that bother you?

I suppose not, says Camus. I've had worse.

Your choice, says Victor.

Camus considers the sleep-on-the-beach option.

On the plus side, it's quite a warm night, the sand is soft and the sound of the ocean is soothing.

On the other hand, he would be sleeping near Terence and his traumatised duck.

Terence is still singing: Roo-kai is coming, Roo-kai is coming.

Waca seems to be nodding off to sleep.

But then:

Warrk! squawks Waca.

What is it? asks Terence.

I'm in an aeroplane! cries Waca. I'm losing my wheels. And my brother!

That's already happened, says Terence. And you don't even mind.

Oh, says Waca. 

Terence sings again: Roo-kai is coming.

I don't need this, I choose the police car, says Camus. 

Very well, says Victor. Come with me. 

I assume you're  trusting me not to abscond, says Gaius.

I am, says Victor. I know you have principles.

I have principles, says Camus. 

Me too, says Terence.

You are too young to have principles, says Camus. 

A young person can have priciples, says Victor. Terence is demonstrating that now, by his singing.

Yes, says Terence, singing even louder: Roo-kai is coming. A bare witness! Soon he will come! And then we will we see his bare bum!

Terence, says Gaius, I believe you have misunderstood the term 'to bear witness'.

Shall we go now? says Camus.

Yes, says Victor. 

They go off to the police car, leaving Gaius explaining 'bear witness' to Terence.

It is a long explanation.

Waca is listening too. 

He prefers the bare bum version. 

It's funny.


No comments: