Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Dangerously Close To One Another

Yes, perfect balance, says the slender-billed thornbill. I'll wish for that.

Keep still, says Terence.

He makes magic passes, with his hands.

Can I move yet? asks the slender-billed thornbill.

Not yet, says Terence. I haven't done the buzzing.

Hurry up, says the slender-billed thornbill.

Buzz, buzz, says Terence.

What's that for? asks Camus.

That's what the saints did when I got perfect balance, says Terence.

So you've got it, says the slender-billed thornbill. What's it like?

You won't fall off a pony, says Terence.

The slender-billed thornbill is disappointed.

It's never sat on a pony.

You've probably never sat on a pony, says Camus.

No I haven't, says the slender-billed thornbill. What else is it like?

Watch this! says Terence. 

He stands on one leg, and doesn't wobble.

Do that dance you did before, says Camus. 

Terence does his empty toe dance.

The fingers of the blue rubber police gloves on his feet are dangerously close to one another.

But Terence doesn't stumble.

That's impressive, says the slender-billed thornbill. But I can't see myself in that situation.

What about ....(Terence tries to think of a bird situation)....what about when you land on a branch and it breaks?

Never happens, says the slender-billed thornbill.

Or it turns into a snake, says Terence,

Actually, can I change my wish? asks the slender-billed thornbill.

Too late! says Terence. You've got perfect balance.

You probably had it already, says Camus. 

I wonder if perfect balance can have another meaning, says the slender-billed thornbill.

No it can't, says Terence. Otherwise I'd have it.

Yes it can, says Camus. It could for example mean the gift of balanced judgement. Perhaps you've got that.

How will I know? asks the slender-billed thornbill.

You'll know, says Camus. 

The slender-billed thornbill decides that, on balance, he should be happy with that.

He flies off to another location.

That went well, says Terence.

I didn't know you could grant wishes, says Camus. 

Me either, says Terence.


No comments: