Saturday, October 7, 2023

Happy Fasting

The movie is over. The credits have rolled.

The audience has left to go back to their luxury recliners.

The Tzeets smell dropped popcorn.

Dropped popcorn is tempting, but no.....

Meanwhile Rookai, flying through the night, returning to Saint Kilda, has arrived at Horsham.

Somewhat less than half way.

I am weary, thinks Roo-kai. I shall stop here, and rest.

He lands on the bank of the Wimmera River, beside a yellow gum blossom.

Several whitebrowed woodswallows are perched on the branches.

Get away, carrot beak! says a whitebrowed woodswallow. This is our yellow gum blossom.

Fear not, says Roo-kai. I do not eat yellow gum blossom. Only molluscs.

No molluscs here, laugh the whitebrowed woodswallows. This is Horsham.

I just need a rest, says Roo-kai. I'm happy fasting.

A yellow gum blossom falls on his head.

Followed by another one.

He becomes drowsy in this pleasant scenario.

There's a fish and chip shop in the main street, he hears a woodswallow saying.

They might have oysters.....

Roo-kai dozes off, but not before thinking, that seems unlikely........

Back at Saint Kilda, Gaius has finished his noodles, and enjoyed them.

Are we planning to we stay here all night ? asks Camus.

We are, says Gaius. It will be easier for Roo-kai to find us.

I'll sleep in my car, says Camus. You and Terence are welcome to join me.

Can I sleep on the beach? asks Terence.

We'll both sleep on the beach, says Gaius. 

Suit yourselves, says Camus.

He heads up to the car park.

Flash! Ahh! he is temporarily blinded by the headlights of a police car.

This will be Victor the policeman who had said he was coming.

Which had slipped Camus's mind until now.


No comments: