Friday, October 13, 2023

Policeman In Parrot Shorts

Need a wee first? asks Victor.

That won't be necessary, says Camus.

Victor locks Camus in the police car.

Then returns to the beach, where Gaius is settling into his sand bed, and Waca is dozing.

Waca went to sleep, says Terence.

You should do the same, says Victor.

I don't normally sleep, says Terence. 

I see, says Victor. Well, Gaius is preparing to sleep, so I'll turn in too.

Go ahead, says Terence.

He sits down, and waits to see what Victor is going to turn into.

Victor gets down on all fours and smooths out the sand with his hand.

Then he lies down on his back.

Going to sleep are you, Victor? asks Gaius.

Trying to, says Victor. 

Worried about Camus? asks Gaius.

Should I be? asks Victor.

Locked in the police car, says Gaius. I suppose there's not much he can do.

I asked him if he needed a wee, says Victor. But he didn't.

Hum, says Gaius. He may think that now, but what about later?

Mm, says Victor. 

And what about the police radio, or whatever you use these days, says Gaius. 

Now Victor is worried. What if a call comes through?

And Camus answers. 

But no. He's off duty. That won't happen.

All is quiet, except for the swoosh of waves on the pebbles.

Victor gazes up at the stars.

Why are there only two of them?

Because they are not stars. They're the wide eyes of Terence, staring down.

What? asks Victor.

You didn't turn into anything, says Terence.

I'm off duty, says Victor. 

But you said, says Terence.

I don't think so, says Victor. Now, why do I feel so uncomfortable?

You're still wearing your hat, says Terence. Can I wear it?

I suppose so, says Victor, taking off his police hat and immediately feeling more comfortable.

Now Terence is wearing the hat.

He looks like a small policeman (in parrot shorts).

Gaius is asleep. So is Waca. And so is Victor.

What to do?

Why not go up to the car park and check on the prisoner?

Where are Victor's car keys? There, in his jacket. 

Yes, that's a good plan.

No comments: