Monday, October 30, 2023

Too Late When I Realised

How did that go? asks Gaius.

Good, says Terence. I cleaned all the poo off.

So I see, says Gaius. There's some on your shorts.

Only a little bit, says Terence. I stopped using these shorts and used my parrot shorts. 

Your new ones? says Gaius. Was that wise?

The parrot shorts are a sacrifice, says Terence.

Very kind of you, says Victor. But am I to understand you did the cleaning?

Yes, says Terence. Camus lifted me up.

Surely he didn't place you on the bonnet! exclaims Victor. 

He had to, says Terence. Or I couldn't have done it.

HE was supposed to do it, says Victor. 

Victor hurries off to the car park, foreseeing trouble. 

There are bound to be scratches.

Camus is on his way back to the beach.

You let Terence do it! says Victor. I bet there are scratches.

A few, says Camus. It was too late when I realised.

How am I going to explain this to my superiors? says Victor.

Surely you often get scratches on police cars, says Camus. 

Not on the bonnet, says Victor. More on the sides.

Will you have to explain it? asks Camus.

I'll have to file a report, sighs Victor. Another one!

You could forget mine, says Camus. Or at least make it shorter.

And why would I do that? asks Victor.

I'll keep quiet about you locking me in the police car overnight with no access to a toilet, says Camus.

You said you didn't want to go, says Victor.

Camus shrugs.

Victor realises that's not the issue. He should have checked on Camus later on.

All right, says Victor. But you won't get away with poisoning the peregrine falcon.

I admit I did that, but unknowingly, says Camus. 

They regard one another.

Is it all worth it? thinks Victor.

If I could just persuade him to give me my car keys, thinks Camus.

What if I have a go at disguising the scratches? asks Camus. I think there's a touch-up kit in the boot of my electric vehicle.

Victor would normally be suspicious. After all, why would there be a touch-up kit in a hired vehicle?

But it's been a long morning. And he hasn't had breakfast. And it would be great if there was.

He gives Camus the car keys.


No comments: