Sunday, May 30, 2021

Unity Shattered

A crunching sound and a whistle.

The wetapunga stops shrilling.

David appears.

What an inopportune moment! says Gaius. I was recording the giant wetapunga.

Sorry, says David. Has it gone?

It does seem to have gone.

Never mind, says Gaius. I'll return in the evening.

What for? asks David. 

To observe their mating procedures, says Gaius. 

I passed Katherine, says David. She's spotted a hihi.

Well done, says Gaius.

She wasn't even looking, says David. It fluttered down beside her. She looked it up on her phone.

Serendipitous, says Gaius. Did she take a photo?

I didn't ask, says David. Would you like a banana chip?

No thank you. They taste like plastic, says Gaius. 

Go on, says David. They must be nutritious.

All right, says Gaius, taking a banana chip. 

Snap. It is as he remembers.

Did you spot any penguins? asks Gaius.

No, says David. I spent the time thinking up empirical problems.

I assume those are problems based on immediate experience, says Gaius. 

Yes, says David. Rather than logical conclusions.

All my problems are of that nature, says Gaius.

Perhaps we are thinking at cross purposes, says David. What about problems with numbers?

The kakapo is a fine example, says Gaius. Are there 147 or 209?

Take the whole numbers, nought to nine, says David.

No, no, says Gaius. There must be at least 147.

Now using these numbers, each digit being used only once, express numbers whose sum is unity, says David. Usual notations allowed.

Mathematics! says Gaius. Were you really thinking that up instead of looking for penguins?

I was, says David.

And what is the answer? asks Gaius.

I imagine there are multiple answers, says David.

I agree with you there, says Gaius.

He takes another banana chip. 

Snap. It shatters.

They walk back to the bunkhouse, leaving the wetapunga, who has remained within earshot, something to chew on.


No comments: