Monday, May 24, 2010

The Competition

Oh Pliny! I said, surprised. You made a joke!

Yes, said Pliny, looking pleased with himself. I could not help myself.

Very funny, I said approvingly. By the way, did you know the Greeks thought Tuesday was unlucky, because the fall of Constantinople was on a Tuesday?

Yes, I did, said Pliny.

Don't you think that's a bit over the top? I asked.

It certainly is, he agreed. The Greeks are like that. The Spanish too. Did you know a Spaniard won't get married or begin a journey on a Tuesday?

Yes, I did know that, I said. We must have googled the same Tuesday.

Probably, said Pliny. Did you find anything different in Brewer's?

Brewer's isn't very good on Tuesday, I said. It just refers to Tiu, or Tiw, or Tyr, as the origin of the name, then suggests you look at Sunday.

Sunday? Is there a connection between Sunday and Tuesday.?

Only that it's a day of the week. I was quite disappointed in Brewer's.

Quite rightly. Its supposed to be 'a browser's delight'.

No Pliny, 'a browser's joy'. That's what it says on the back.

Oh yes, 'a browser's joy'. How could I forget? I used it in a competition recently.

What sort of competition?

It was a competition to win a packet of Fruchocs. You had to describe the taste of Fruchocs in three words. I just happened to be looking at the back of Brewer's Dictionary, where it says, 'A browser's joy!' and I thought, Here are three words! I shall adapt them and enter the competition!

And how did you adapt them, Pliny? And did you win?

My entry was: 'A sucker's joy'. And no, alas, I didn't.

No comments: