Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sand by me.

Sand? Why did I pick sand? I don't know anything about sand. I don't even like sand. But let me think.........

Last weekend I was walking along the esplanade at Seacliff, looking at the heaps of sand the council had just dumped, and I remembered something I had read once about sand.

It was, that we are very lucky to be living in an age where there is sand. There hasn't always been sand. And one day there will be no sand again.

But I couldn't remember why it was true.

Then, three little grains of sand blew by me and spoke to me as in a dream:

First grain of sand: I am a coarse grain of sand. I measure 2 millimetres in diameter. I used to be bigger, but then I was known as gravel.

Second grain of sand: I am a medium grain of sand. I measure one millimetre in diameter. I am getting smaller all the time though.

Third grain of sand: I am a fine grain of sand. I measure .0625 millimetres in diameter. If I get any smaller I'll be silt.

Me: So?

The three grains of sand: Humans! They never get it. Let's roll!

No comments: