Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Biodiversity

Pliny the Elder was beside himself with frustration. If the ladybird had not had legs, a circumstance he personally doubted, then it needed to be studied further. Perhaps it really did live in a seashell. Perhaps instead of legs it had tiny flippers. It would now be impossible to ascertain.

I felt a little guilty, not just for Pliny's sake but for the sake of biodiversity in general. If only I had not washed the little blighter down the sink! At least, I thought, I can try and make it up to Pliny.

Would you like to write the next few blogs? I asked him. You may write on any subject that you choose, I shall not interfere.

Pliny brightened up.

Thankyou, he said. I would like that.

What will you write about? I asked.

Blue Devil fish, said Pliny.

Really? I said. Now that is a coincidence.

Coincidence? Why? asked Pliny.

Because I .....no never mind. What else will you write about?

Chocolate biscuits, said Pliny. Don't tell me you....?

Well, I ..... ahem, anything else?

Volcanoes, said Pliny.

I would never have thought of that, I said truthfully.

No comments: