Saturday, May 15, 2010

Volcanoes, by Pliny the Elder

Greetings from Pliny the Elder.

It had been my intention to write on the subject of volcanoes, in this my third and final post of the series, but I find myself shrinking from the task. After all these years the thought of an erupting volcano causes my throat to contract with a choking sensation no less severe and debilitating than that which is brought about by the noxious fumes, smoke and ash of a real volcanic eruption.

Therefore it is my intention to allow myself to approach the subject much in the way that a kindly doctor might help a nervous patient become used to looking at spiders, that is, to begin with a very small one, and by this means to lessen the feelings of dread evoked by one that is larger.

Today then, my subject will be: How to Bake an Erupting Volcano Cake.

Firstly, bake a chocolate cake, in a rounded bowl, so that when the cake is upturned it will have the appearance of a hill, or mountain.

Secondly, when the cake is cool, take a small cup, and press it down into the top of the cake.

Thirdly, ice the cake with chocolate icing, and decorate it with melted toffee, to represent the lava spilling down the sides.

Fourthly, place a small piece of dry ice in the bottom of the cup.

Finally, add a little water to the dry ice.

This will create the thrilling effect of real smoke pouring from the top of the volcano, and will delight everyone, adults and children alike.

Even I could, I think, bring myself to partake of it.

Farewell! I look forward to the day when I can write about volcanoes without emotion.

No comments: