Thursday, November 3, 2011

Getting On

Lick it! said Le Bon David. Lick the sand?

Well, you don't have to lick it, said Margaret, but you could.

Why would we? asked The VeloDrone.

Because, said Margaret grandly, it is wet with the waters of a natural freshwater spring! Come with me, and I'll show you.

They walked a little further round the bay. The sand looked rather powdery and dry.

Oh dear, said Margaret. You can see it sometimes. Perhaps it's better in the evening. The freshwater seeps out through the sand and drains into the sea. They say it's the tears of Old Tjilbruke.

She waited for The VeloDrone or Le Bon David to ask her about Old Tjilbruke, but neither of them seemed inclined to do so.

Is that the cafe over there? asked Le Bon David. I rather fancy a nice filled foccaccia, or baguette.

And a coffee, said The VeloDrone.

Margaret looked mightily put out.

Oh, come on, Margaret, said The VeloDrone. You can tell us about Old Tjilbruke later.

Before we do that, she said, I thought we might climb up the hill to the Tjilbruke monument, and see the interesting native vegetation on the way.

She gestured towards the hill. It was small enough but the path looked rather steep.

Margaret, said Le Bon David, I think it's time we had a little talk.

No,no, said Margaret. I know what you're going to say. I always end up overdoing things and driving people mad. I think perhaps they find me rather bossy.

She looked as though she might be going to cry.

There, there, said Le Bon David. Do you know what I think, Margaret? I think we should go to the cafe and have something to eat while you tell us the story of Old Tjilbruke.

Absolutely, agreed The VeloDrone. Then, we should wander back to the Field Geologists' picnic. I think we ought to introduce you to our good friend Gaius. I have a feeling that you and he would get on swimmingly.

No comments: