Monday, November 28, 2011

Repetition

Kobo wasn't really a wanker. She liked the letter K, that was all. So she had chosen Kierkegaard. She knew nothing about him. She opened the book. It was called Repetition. That's amazing, said Kobo, given that I'm doomed to repeat the process of sending my friends to the museum on quests and losing them there. I wonder what Kierkegaard can teach us about that?

.....

Lavender caught the bus to the city. She took her quest seriously. She paid no attention to the man who was singing, and the two who were talking at cross purposes about Mad and Cracked magazines.

She got off the bus, raced across the road and burst into the museum, demanding to know where her friends were.

The information officer guessed at once who she meant.

They're downstairs in the lab with Mr Lee, she said.

Lavender charged downstairs and looked around for a laboratory. Down a dark corridor to the right she saw a door with a LABORATORY sign on it. She kicked it open.

Hah! she said. I'm here!

Who are you? asked Mr Lee.

I'm Lavender! said Lavender. Where's Ageless? Where's Baby Pierre?

We're here, said Ageless. What are you doing here?

Rescuing you! said Lavender. Or kicking you. Where's Baby Pierre?

I'm alright, said Ageless. Baby Pierre is in the cupboard.

Let him out! cried Lavender. He's not a SPECIMEN!

He is, said Mr Lee. And let me look at you! You're a pretty little augur, aren't you.

No way! said Lavender. I'm the space where an augur used to be. And I'm not going in your stinky cupboard. Let Baby Pierre out right now, or I'll.... I'll prick you!

I don't think so, said Mr Lee, given that you're just an empty space. But I take your point. And I apologise. I was acting in the interests of science. I don't know what came over me. I can only say in my defence that I haven't had any lunch.

He opened the cupboard.

Hello Lavender, said Baby Pierre. There are lots of interesting specimens in this cupboard. Want to see?

No, said Lavender. Get down. We're going home.

None of you are going home yet, said Mr Lee. It's nearly time for the Sprigg lecture.

A LECTURE! said Lavender How BORING!!!

No comments: