Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Understandings

Leave the chicken and icecreams with us, said The VeloDrone.

Okay, said the president. Enjoying yourselves?

Mmmm, said Le Bon David, eying the esky.

Yes, said The VeloDrone. All these rocks. It's hard not to.

The president smiled benevolently and wandered off.

You'll note, said The VeloDrone, that I didn't say what would happen to the chicken and icecreams.

Noted, said Le Bon David. Shall we eat them on the train?

We shall, said The VeloDrone. Let's go.

......

Meanwhile Margaret and Gaius were deep in fascinating conversation.

I should very much like to see this Exeloo you speak of, Margaret, said Gaius. And the Contemplation, and the Tjilbruke monument as well. You obviously know a great deal about this coastline.

Oh yes, said Margaret, but it's always nicer to be with someone who appreciates what they're seeing.

I'm sure that David and Vello appreciated what you showed them, said Gaius.

I'm not so sure they did, said Margaret, but I somehow feel that you would. Did you know, she continued, that the fossilised remains of giant red kangaroos have been found inland from the southern end of this beach?

Wonderful, said Gaius. I take it you are interested in fossils?

I am, said Margaret. I am particularly interested in trilobites.

So am I , said Gaius, Did you know that their eyes were made of calcite?

Yes. How good is that, said Margaret.

Not very good I shouldn't have thought, said Gaius.

Margaret giggled.

Gaius understood that she thought he'd made a joke.

No comments: