Sunday, January 25, 2015

Australia Day - A Mixed Bag

It is Australia Day.

Team Philosophe and Team Condor are having a consolation picnic, in Elder Park.

They sit on the grass near a stage which is being set up for a concert.

The sky is cloudy. There are swans on the river.

Belle et Bonne: Here papa, have a tuna sandwich.

Vello ( taking a tuna sandwich ): Thank you, my dear.

Belle et Bonne: What about you, Terence?

Terence doesn't reply.

Sweezus: Come on, Terence. Try something. At least have a Popper.

Richard Dawkins. He's sulking. That's what.

David: And why might that be? Could it be to do with your frank explanation of atheism?

Sweezus: No. It's actually my fault.

Terence: It IS! It's his fault. He said Oppy the Kangaroo wasn't true.

Sweezus: Real. I said he wasn't a real kangaroo. Just someone in a costume.

Belle et Bonne: But Terence, that's true.

Richard Dawkins: This is what comes of believing in fairy tales.

Gaius: Speaking of which, did you find the twins' parents?

Richard Dawkins: I did. I told them their daughters were too intelligent to be allowed to be turned into Catholics.

Surfing-With-Whales: Shit a brick! What did they say?

Richard Dawkins: They had no idea what I was talking about.

Arthur: And did you explain?

Richard Dawkins: Well yes, and it turned out the girls had been lying. Which was most satisfactory. Then they asked for my autograph, and wished me good luck in the race.

Vello: By which time you'd missed it.

Richard Dawkins: Yes, that was a pity.

Terence: Ha ha. That's what comes of believing in fairy tales.

Belle et Bonne: Oh, that's very good Terence. But I think it's time to move on. Pablo, will you have a tuna sandwich?

Pablo Neruda: Thank you, beautiful lady.

Belle et Bonne: You're very welcome.

Pablo Neruda: Full woman, fleshly apple, hot moon...

Belle et Bonne: Goodness!

Pablo Neruda: ....thick smell of seaweed, crushed mud and light.

Belle et Bonne: It's just a tuna sandwich.

Pablo Neruda: What obscure brilliance opens between your columns? what ancient night ...

Vello: I assume that is one of your poems and not a crude suggestion.

David: Yes, best if we all assume that.

Belle et Bonne: Well I quite like it. Pablo dear, could I interest you in a Popper?

A voice from the stage trills: Australians all let us rejoice ...thunk!

Just a sound check.

A voice from the river path calls out: David! Yoohoo! David!

David (groaning): Oh no! It's mother! Blaxland, here I come.......


No comments: