Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Stage Three: Norwood to Paracombe - The Puzzle

Early morning, in Norwood, before the race starts.

Team Philosophe and Team Condor meet up for a coffee.

David has spent the night collecting his thoughts on sleeping.

Let's hear them, says Richard Dawkins, stirring the elaborate leaf pattern in his froth.

When my perceptions are removed, says David, such as when sleeping, I am insensible of myself, and may truly be said not to exist. Just a playful thought there.

Glad you think it's playful, says Vello. Explain.

It's simple, says Pablo Neruda. I've tackled the same subject, but with more clarity.

Humph! says David. I should have thought I was perfectly clear.

Does anyone know when the race is starting? asks Gaius.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Does anyone? And where are we heading?

Paracombe, says Vello. But don't change the subject.

No, don't, says Richard Dawkins, wiping froth from his lips with a paper napkin. Go on, Pablo.

Pablo, swallowing the last dregs of his skinny soy latte:

When I sleep every night
what am I called or not called?
And when I wake
who am I, if I was not I
while I slept?

Excellent, says Richard Dawkins.

Well, really, sniffs David. It's just what I said.

It is, says Vello. Now we all know what sleep isn't. But no one wins a prize yet.

We need an eleven year old, says Richard Dawkins. How old is Terence?

Ask him, says David. He's over there with his Grandpa. Ahoy! Terence!

Terence comes over with a baby-cino. He has a white froth moustache. How adorable.

I don't suppose you are eleven? asks Richard Dawkins.

NO! says Terence. Much, much older.

Richard Dawkins looks sceptical

But there is no time to unravel this mathematical puzzle. The race is about to begin.

........

The race begins. The riders ride out of Norwood.

Arthur thinks he hears, as he is disappearing in the distance, a double cry of ARTHUR! ARTHUR!

Pablo: You have a fan club.

Arthur: No, that's not like me.

........

The race ends at Paracombe, wherever that is. It's windy.

The winner of the stage is Rohan Dennis, of Team BMC.

Hurrah for Rohan!

Who is he if he was not he when he slept last night?

Luckily, he has not thought to ask himself this question.


No comments: