Thursday, January 1, 2015

Science Or Menace?

In the Marrawah general store:

Good thinking, Arthur, says Gaius. Ice is just the ticket.

Rosamunda shoots him a look.

But it wasn't..... says Arthur.

Charmed life, mouths Rosamunda. Just suck it up.

Ying comes over.

Since her conversation with Marx she has become bolder.

Your bike is dirty, says Ying.

I know, says Arthur.

Shall I clean it for you? says Ying.

No, says Arthur. Why would you want to?

Because I like you, says Ying.

Arthur stops eating his scallop pie.

Marx is listening. So is Sweezus.

If you like him, says Sweezus, don't try and change him. His likes his stuff dirty.

Wrong thinking! says Marx. There is always room for improvement. Look at Ying, who has recently displayed a new found courage and eaten of scum.

Unni and Rosamunda can't believe it. She's eaten of scum?

Awesome! says Sweezus. How come?

It was at my suggestion, says Marx. The smear of an unknown substance on the crossbar. She swallowed it. And good for her, too!

You, says Rosamunda, are a menace. It was you that made Terence eat mud.

YES! says Terence. But he's my grandpa. And it was science.

It wasn't science, says Unni. He's just likes to egg people on. Remember what he said about his sisters, eating mud pies......

Marx performs a mindful self criticism. It's true. He is a menace.

He shoves the rest of his own scallop pie into his overall pocket.

He will finish it later. It will be less appetising.

Arthur is looking at Ying. Ying is looking at Arthur.

We're heading back soon, says Arthur.

I know, says Ying. You've still got our car keys. Mine and Stew's.

I haven't, says Arthur. (No point hiding it now.)

What? says Ying. So where are they?

Not sure, says Arthur. When you and Stew get back to Burnie, there are these two students, they've got the car keys. And the cars. And we've got their bicycles.

The penny drops. Ying has eaten of scum from the crossbar of some random person, who now has her car.

Still, who can stay cross with Arthur?

Gaius meanwhile, having finished his pie, is looking vaguely at the wall behind the counter, on which hangs a calendar.

Great Jupiter! It's January already!

This calls for a tightening of plans.

Arthur, says Gaius. Do you realise it's January?

I do now, says Arthur.

Shit, is it? says Sweezus. We have to get back for the Tour. I'm supposed to be getting a team up.

Am I in it? says Arthur.

Am I? says Surfing-With-Whales.

Yes, says Sweezus. You guys are in it. I just need one more and a backup.

I too am getting a team up, says Gaius. I was hoping.....

Oh that reminds me, says Unni. Gaius. When we took Katherine's car back, she left you a message.

Really, says Gaius, what is it?

It's a note, says Unni.

She reaches into her pocket and hands him a note.

Gaius reads it.

Great thundering Jupiter! says Gaius. Arthur, bring me a map!


No comments: