Monday, January 19, 2015

Stage One: Tanunda to Campbelltown - Losing Momentum

Three, two, one, go! The teams ride out of Tanunda.

Team Philosophe and Team Condor are out near the front.

Urgh! says David. I don't expect to maintain this position.

Nor me, says Gaius. I ate too much on the rest day.

Anyone would think, says Vello, that you didn't enjoy it.

No, no, says Gaius. I always enjoy Belle et Bonne's picnics.

It was delightful, says Richard Dawkins, De-lightful. I particularly liked the zucchini and corn fritters, and the Eden Valley Riesling.

So did I , says Vello. A good drop, that riesling. Pale gold, with a bouquet of apple blossom.

Pablo liked it, says David. He drank more than he should have. So did Arthur, and Surfing-With-Whales.

And Sweezus, says Gaius. But he seemed in fine form this morning.

Was he there? asks Richard Dawkins. That's funny.....

He didn't join in much, says Vello. He just ate smoked chicken and mettwurst, and slurped down the wine.

I was quite surprised, says David. I thought he'd have been into your.......competition thing.

Pablo was, says Richard Dawkins.

He speeds up to catch up with Pablo.

He passes Jack Bobridge.

Jack Bobridge waves at Richard Dawkins.

Hello, old man. (You'll be sorry you did that).

Richard Dawkins draws level with Surfing-With-Whales and Arthur.

Oi, Richard,  says Surfing-With-Whales. I been thinking... about the sleep competition thing....

It's only for scientists, says Richard.

And Pablo, says Arthur.

All right, and Pablo, says Richard Dawkins. He has a fine knack for expression.

Richard speeds up, to be level with Pablo Neruda.

Here's one for you, says Pablo Neruda, still pedaling hard:

I should like to sleep like a cat
with all the fur of time
with a tongue rough as flint
with the dry sex of fire.....

Richard is visibly moved.

Pablo speeds up and draws level with Sweezus.

What the fuck was that about? says Sweezus.

It's a competition, says Pablo. You can win a thousand dollars.

Mega! says Sweezus. What for?

You have to explain sleep so that an eleven year old can understand it, says Pablo Neruda. It's on Richard's website.

Sweezus thinks about sleep for a moment, as Jack Bobridge speeds by.

Was that your entry, that sleep like a cat one? says Sweezus. Dry sex of fire? If I was eleven, I don't reckon....

No that's not my entry, says Pablo Neruda. I was just teasing Richard.

Well, concentrate man, says Sweezus. Lead me out. I wanna get King of the Mountain.

Pablo tries his hardest.

But now they have lost their momentum.


No comments: