Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do Not Speak The Name

Gaius and Baby Pierre are back on board the Georgette.

Where's the net? says the captain.

I dropped it, says Baby Pierre. It wasn't my fault. It was heavy.

Those nets don't come cheap, says the captain.

You'll be reimbursed, says Gaius.

Did you SEE anything? asks Brianna.

No, says Baby Pierre, but I learned something. The name of the chimaera.

Do not speak it, says Gaius.

Tell ME, says Brianna.

Baby Pierre whispers the name of the chimaera to Brianna

Didier.

Brianna finds it hard to keep a secret.

Di-di-di-u-u-uh, sings Brianna.

That's better, says Mary-Margaret. I didn't like that other station.

I'm not a radio, says Brianna. Where did you think my knobs were?

That hole, says Mary-Margaret. But then, I'm not up with the latest technology.

That's my DRILL hole, says Brianna. It would be pretty hard to turn a DRILL hole.

I'm sorry, says Mary-Margaret. But I'm also glad.

Why? asks Brianna.

Perhaps I shouldn't be, says Mary-Margaret. I was thinking you might do requests.

I might, says Brianna. Do you like Marlisa?

Gaius has had enough of these trivialities.

Did you speak it? he asks Baby Pierre.

Only to her, says Baby Pierre sulkily.

Why does it matter? asks Andrew Dempster.

He believes in omens, says Mary-Emily. He said so.

I do, says Gaius. And so should you. It may augur a shipwreck.

Captain Ed knits his brow and gives orders for the Georgette to return to Lucky Bay immediately.

..........

On the way back, Mary-Emily explains something to Gaius.

The Dempsters are very conscious of shipwrecks, says Mary-Emily.

Who isn't? says Gaius.

We are particularly, says Mary-Emily. Our boat is named after a famous one, in which the Dempsters played a heroic role. And also the Bussells.

Do tell, says Gaius, politely.

It was the 29th of November 1876, says Mary-Emily. The Georgette went ashore midway between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Hamelin. James and William Dempster were on board, with a cargo of jarrah. The boat started sinking.

Gaius nods. Jarrah. No wonder.

Grace Bussell rode her horse down a cliff and into the water to help with the rescue. James and William helped save some of the passengers. Twelve people drowned.

Dear me, says Gaius, suppressing a shiver.

I myself am a Bussell, says Mary-Emily.

Indeed, says Gaius.

He makes a mental note not to go diving tomorrow.

Perhaps he'll send Arthur.


No comments: