Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Lying Ecstatic Being Scratched Lazily

Munglinup is only an hour out of Esperance.

Arthur and Ferdy pull up outside the Esperance YHA Backpackers just as Gaius is emerging to cast an eye on the day.

Arthur! says Gaius. And this will be....?

Ferdy, says Ferdy. You'll be the Perth Museum guy, yeah?

Not exactly, says Gaius. I am only associated with the Perth Museum insofar as I am engaged in some early reconnaissance.

He knows, says Arthur. I told him. We've brought you the diving gear. And the rebreather.

Excellent, says Gaius. How far down can I go?

Eighteen metres, says Ferdy. Not bad, is it!

Hmm, says Gaius. The habitat of the ruby sea dragon is deeper.

How deep? asks Ferdy.

Fifty metres, says Gaius. There may be a problem.

Ageless has come out of the backpackers and is standing behind him.

It won't be a problem, says Ageless. I'm here.

You haven't done anything so far, says Gaius.

This morning, says Ageless, Kobo and I are taking a half-day cruise with Esperance Island Cruises.
We depart from Taylor Jetty at nine.

Kobo comes through the front door of the backpackers in time to hear her name, and island cruises.

Oh Ageless! says Kobo. How nice!

Yes, my beloved, says Ageless. We shall see fur seals and sea lions, Cape Barren geese, and common or bottlenose dolphins. We shall have afternoon tea on Woody Island.

And do a spot of diving, I hope, says Gaius. Can you go down fifty metres?

I can't, myself, says Ageless. Does anyone have any string?

Ageless, says Kobo. If you think I'm descending fifty metres into the depths of the ocean on a string you are very much mistaken.

Of course not, beloved, says Ageless. Baby Pierre ....

He WON'T be coming, says Kobo. This is our time.

As you wish, precious angel, says Ageless, sniffing the air.

What is that strange smell? asks Ageless

Me, says Arthur. I'm heading down to the beach for a swim. Anyone coming?

Wait, says Gaius. Before you disappear again, do you have any pencils?

No, says Arthur, rummaging in his shorts pocket. But I've got these. I've got a whole packet.

He whips out the bamboo skewers he obtained from the Oriental Cash and Carry.

Ageless's eyes light up at the sight of the skewers.

He envisions several tasty ruby sea dragons lined up on skewers, ready to eat.

Can I have a few? asks Ageless.

What for? asks Kobo.

My back, says Ageless. Imagine you and me, beloved, me lying ecstatic in your creamy lap, you scratching my back lazily with a skewer.

There is no one, with the possible exception of Ferdy, who believes this false construct.


No comments: