Friday, April 10, 2015

Smelling Normal And Naturally Lucky

Kobo is loving the half day island cruise.

It's so lovely, says Kobo. All these islands.

We're going to Woody Island, says a small girl, sitting beside her.

I know, says Kobo. And we're having afternoon tea.

Morning tea, says the little girl's mother.

Funny, says Kobo, my companion distinctly said afternoon tea, but on reflection, he must have been mistaken.

Ha ha yes, laughs mummy. It's a half day cruise. Unless you're both thinking of staying.

No, no, says Kobo.

You're a SHELL! says the little girl.

I'm a fossilised clam, says Kobo.

Do you want to sit in my basket, Mrs. Fossiclam? asks the little girl.

Why thank you, says Kobo. And you may call me Kobo.

The little girl lifts Kobo into her basket which is purple and has a high handle.

My name is Pepper, says the little girl. But you can call me Peppa.

Kobo is immediately sorry that she has allowed herself to be placed in a basket. Now she can't see.

And Ageless can't see her.

Ageless has come back from the front of the boat where he has been glaring down into the sea depths and seen nothing but water.

And now: where is his beloved? Instead of her, a purple basket with a high handle is sitting where she used to be.

Excuse me, says Ageless to Pepper. Is this your basket?

Yes, says Pepper. This is my basket. It's from my home. And I have a Kobo inside it. Want to see?

Yes, says Ageless. I have reason to believe that it may be my Kobo.

Kobo is annoyed at the possessive.

.........

Meanwhile, at the Esperance Backpackers, Arthur has returned from his swim, smelling normal.

Okay, says Ferdy. Are we all good to go?

They all pile into Perth Scuba, and set off towards Lucky Bay.

Lucky Bay is in the Cape le Grand National Park, forty five minutes from Esperance.

It's a beautiful drive, and Ferdy is driving.

Gaius looks out of the window at the massive granite and gneiss peaks rising from the coastal plain.

It reminds him of Margaret. Thank Jupiter she isn't here!

Imagine her organising everything.

Instead, it is all working out rather well.

Sweezus has come up with the string that is needed for Baby Pierre to be lowered to a suitable depth for spotting a ruby sea dragon. Baby Pierre will ......wait a minute......what will he do if he sees one?

It occurs to Gaius as he looks out of the window at the rolling heath lands where there are as yet no wild flowers because it is April and not June-to-November, (not that he cares), that Baby Pierre ought to be given a camera.

Arthur! says Gaius.

What? says Arthur, who has been talking to Sweezus and laughing at the idea of Terence in a Peruvian hat with side flaps.

I don't suppose you could get me an underwater camera? says Gaius.

Hey, no worries, says Ferdy, who was listening. I've got one in the back.

And so there you go. When is Arthur ever not lucky?

No comments: