Friday, November 18, 2016

Deeper Connections

The road from San Cristobál de La Laguna to Chamorga follows a high ridge of mountains.

Tenerife is a volcanic island, observes the Rector.

No need to remind me, says Gaius.

Apologies, says the Rector. There can't be much you don't know about volcanoes.

Kong gazes through the car window at the rugged topography.

It reminds him of China.

I know about volcanoes, says Terence, but where are the parrots?

Keep your eyes peeled, says the Rector. You might see a Bolle's Pigeon, a Laurel Pigeon, a Tenerife Goldcrest, or a Canary Island Chiffchaff, if you're observant. Are you observant?

Terence doesn't answer.

What's up with you? asks Daniel O'Connell. Are you scared of heights?

No, says Terence. Just keeping my eyes peeled.

Daniel O'Connell suspects Terence has the wrong idea about keeping his eyes peeled. He is staring at the dashboard without blinking.

Do you take an interest in birds? asks Gaius.

Only as an amateur, says the Rector.

I believe your field is Mathematical Analysis, says Kong.

Indeed, says the Rector. It's my passion. If you don't mind me asking, what is yours, Kong?

Harmonious social order, says Kong.

Wonderful, says the Rector. A fine passion. It chimes in with just about everything.

Terence's eyes are getting watery.

Are you crying? asks Daniel O'Connell.

No! says Terence. Shut up. I nearly saw a CHIFFCHAFF!

Ah, says Gaius. The more I learn about nature the more I find there are deeper connections between sentient and non sentient beings than, as a younger man, I would ever have credited.

How true, says the Rector. Why only the other day I read that the two seemingly different models of traffic flow in cities actually have similar underlying mathematical structures.

You don't say, says Gaius.

Remarkable, says Kong. What are the two different models?

Terence is crying, says Daniel O'Connell.

I'M NOT CRYING! shouts Terence.

Two phase and three phase, explains the Rector. Just a moment. I'll stop here. There's a great view of both sides of the island.

Gaius and Kong admire the spectacular view of both sides of the island.

Terence stops staring at the dashboard, and stares up at a pine tree.

Daniel O'Connell suddenly remembers what he came to Tenerife for, and looks for a warm dry sunny spot which might be home to one or more of his relatives.

No comments: