Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Follow Your Heart

I'll be back, says Baby Pierre. Hold onto my hat.

Okay, says Diego.

Baby Pierre rolls down University Drive after White Slits.

White Slits is fast. She is already at the bus stop.

But there is no bus there. And no bus due for ten minutes.

Baby Pierre stops beside her.

Don't go yet, says Baby Pierre. 

Give me a reason to stay, replies White Slits. 

Multiple reasons, says Baby Pierre. One, you can still learn dancing, because I can do dancing. Two, you might be related to Daniel O'Connell. and then you'll be famous. Three, you can't go back to your old life. Because.

'Because' isn't a reason, says White Slits. And who says I want to go back to my old life?

You're reversing your journey, says Baby Pierre. 

Unlike Hopeful, says White Slits.

Was Hopeful your partner? asks Baby Pierre. 

Yes, says White Slits. He followed his dream of hot chocolate. I should follow his lead.

No, you shouldn't, says Baby Pierre. He wasn't invited. And Maricruz .....

What?

Whacked him with a slipper.

Ai! Then what happened?

He exploded. But not much came out.

Out? Like what?

Innards.

Poor Hopeful. You're heartless.

I'm a free thinker, says Baby Pierre. Stay with me.

(This is risky).

White Slits weighs up her options.

Do you KNOW James Joyce? asks White Slits.

Yes, says Baby Pierre.

This is even more risky. He doesn't. But Kobo spoke of him once.

He was uxorious, says Baby Pierre. 

What does that mean? asks White Slits. 

It means he loved Nora Barnacle, says Baby Pierre. Maybe too much.

Maybe I loved Hopeful too much, says White Slits. Was Nora an actual barnacle?

I don't think so, says Baby Pierre.

Who do you love? asks White Slits.

No one, says Baby Pierre. That's because of free thinking.

I don't think it is, says White Slits. 

So are you with me? asks Baby Pierre. 

White Slits looks down the road. Still no bus coming. 

Okay, says White Slits.

Sometimes you follow your heart. Other times, whatever's convenient.


 

No comments: