Saturday, November 19, 2016

Synchronised Flow

They prefer laurels, says the Rector.

Ah, says Gaius. Who doesn't?

Ha ha, laughs the Rector. I was referring to chiffchaffs. Terence is watching a pine tree.

I saw one, says Terence.

Describe it, says the Rector.

How mean!

Like a parrot, says Terence.

But more chaffy, says Daniel O'Connell.

Terence looks grateful.

Come on, says the Rector. Everyone back in the car.

They drive on, towards Chamorga.

So tell me, says Kong, what is the difference between the two phase and three phase models, if you'll pardon my ignorance?

The two phase has two phases, says the Rector. And the three phase has three.

I guessed as much, says Kong. But what are they?

I shall give you the two phases of the two phase model, says the Rector. They are identical to the first and third phase of the three phase model. Perhaps you'd like to take a stab at the second?

Is this a game? asks Gaius. Perhaps Terence would like to join in?

What? says Terence.

Guess the second phase of the three phase traffic flow model, says the Rector.

Go! says Terence.

Not yet, says the Rector. I haven't given you the essential information.

Stop? says Terence.

Go ahead, Rector, says Kong.

I intend to, says the Rector.

It's not fair! says Terence.

Phase one is Free Flow, says the Rector. Phase two (or phase three in the three phase model) is Congested.

Kong is disappointed that it isn't more technical.

Gaius is, too.

The two phase model seems unnecessarily simple, says Gaius. I quite see why a second phase inserted between the first and second phase, thus requiring the second phase to be renamed as the third phase, is desirable. Something must slow down the traffic, leading to congestion. What is it?

You're barking up the wrong tree, says the Rector.

I spy with my little eye something beginning with S, says Terence.

Good guess, Terence, says the Rector. Or are you just lucky?

I was changing the game, says Terence. It's STUPID!

The answer is Synchronised Flow, says the Rector.

The answer is STUPID, says Terence. And you're all stupid because nobody guessed it.

I guessed it, says Daniel O'Connell. But I couldn't get a word in.

Stupid is an adjective, says Gaius. You could not have guessed it.

The Rector turns on the car radio. Plink-plonk-thrumm. How relaxing. A Spanish guitar.

Sharp peaks and deep ravines, pine forests, steep-walled gorges with outcroppings of igneous quartz and feldspar, flow by the car window.

In no time at all, as it seems, they pull up in Chamorga.

No comments: