Saturday, April 15, 2017

Snakes Think Like That

It was a bad idea to take Terence.

Terence is slow. He keeps stopping to pick red curled up fruit skins from his cutlass shorts.

Hurry up, says Mastigo. What's the matter?

These are new shorts, says Terence.

They don't look new, says Mastigo.

I was sick on them, says Terence.

Go into the sea, says Mastigo. Wash it off.

Terence has never been told to go into the sea in the dark before. He is usually told not to.

He scampers down to where the surf froths gently in the moonlight.

Mastigo peers into the darkness ahead.

Yes, he can see something writhing. He moves forward.

.....

Mastigo! says Tangerine. You came. I was beginning to wonder.

You expected me? says Mastigo.

Of course. You sent the invitation.

I did? Yes.... I did. I'm late because there was an incident. I went to your snake hole.

To meet me? O, I wish I had waited.

So do I. Something happened to our youngest.

An accident! What's happened to Tiny?

Not an accident. A pact. Tiny was sacrificed to save the others.

I don't understand, darling. Save them from what?

From a couple of scientists, says Mastigo. Digging.

That's not the whole story, says Kobo.

Ho! Who are you? asks Mastigo. The other woman? You look like a clam.

Kobo, says Kobo. I've been here all along. Tangerine and I have been running. Well, she has. Not running... gliding. She held me aloft....

Spare me the details, says Mastigo.

I have a confession to make, says Kobo. I know those scientists. They are natural historians, and they wanted a DNA sample, and now they have got one, and it's my fault.

Couldn't be, says Tangerine. You're too sweet. Mastigo has already admitted to making the pact. What did you get in return for our baby, Mastigo?

The address of the beach party, says Mastigo.

But you already knew it! says Tangerine. You prize idiot!

Uh-huh, says Mastigo. (To agree seems the best option).

It's good that Tangerine isn't too bothered about losing Tiny.

Six is still a large family.

And Tiny was the runtiest.

Hey!

Snakes think like that.

.....

In the sea froth, Terence has lost his sense of direction.

Hey! Someone! he cries. Come and get me!

Ageless hears the faint cry.

No way he's going to put himself out over Terence. Let him stay there.

He drags himself back to the light of the glittering canopy.

Reception is packing things up.

There's something down there in the water, says Ageless.

You don't say, says Reception.

So. He's made the effort.

No one can blame him.

Ageless thinks like that.

No comments: