Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sensible People V Others

Late afternoon.The Lagoon is returning to Bridgetown.

On board, there is muted gaiety.

The catamaran cruise was the final thing on the agenda.

Early tomorrow, the guests will fly home.

No one wants to drink too many rum punches, and risk feeling terrible.

They are sensible people, who will go back to selling audiological equipment, when they get home.

The Jolly Roger floats by, to the sounds of crazy conga dancing.

Da-da, da-da, dah-DAH, da-da, da-da, dah-DAH. Woohoo!

Nose watches, from the deck of the Lagoon.

The two vessels are close now. She spies her friend Bertrand the cook, leaning over the side of the Jolly Roger.

Dropping something into the water.

That's not allowed!

Bertrand! Is that a lobster?

Yes, Nose. How did you know? And why are you on a catamaran when you should be helping me in the kitchen? There is much broken glass on the floor.

I know. I broke it. And I killed the lobster. So I can never come back. Don't forget me, Bertrand.

I won't forget you. And I will clean up the glass by myself. No questions asked.

Bye then, Bertrand.

Bye, Nose!

The Jolly Roger passes the Lagoon, leaving behind it a rollicking sea wake, faint conga music, and a dead floating crustacean, once known as Stede Bonnett.

Dancing, says Terence. When are we dancing?

I don't feel like dancing, says Nose.

Nor do I, says Tiny Sacrifice.

Terence determines to dance on his own.

He starts jigging up and down, and sticking out his bottom, this way and that way.

But the captain tells him off, so he has to stop dancing.
.......

Back on the beach, outside the Waves Resort Hotel, in the completely wrong direction for finding a Barbados racer, young Richard Ligon is waiting.

Julia turns up.

Is this your crime scene? asks Julia, looking sceptical.

Could be, says young Richard Ligon. See the scuffle marks?

You should stick to your field, say Julia. These aren't made by turtles.

Eh, shrugs young Richard Ligon.

Wrong size, wrong season, says Julia.

Okay. Want to help me look for snake tracks? asks young Richard Ligon.

Might as well, says Julia. I'm here now. How come you're looking for snake tracks? I thought you were holding the fort in the Chem and Biology labs?

Something came up, says young Richard Ligon. There was a sighting of a Barbados racer.

No kidding? says Julia. Here?

Here, says young Richard Ligon. But it doesn't live here. This is where it was spotted.

Who by? asks Julia.

A couple of natural historians, says young Richard Ligon. They brought in a snake egg for DNA testing. It hatched. I actually had the baby snake, but it jumped out of my beaker.

Julia is unimpressed with the scientific rigour of young Richard Ligon. If she were his supervisor, which she isn't, she would have more to say.....

Instead she says, It's four o'clock. Let's get cake and coffee.

They head back to the Waves Resort Hotel just as Gaius and Griff are arriving.

Richard Ligon! says Gaius. Any results yet?

Not yet, says young Richard Ligon. This is Julia Horrocks. She's in charge of the Sea Turtle Project in Barbados.

Indeed! says Gaius. The Sea Turtle Project! I imagine that keeps you busy.

It does, says Julia. Particularly during nesting. We have volunteers making sure the nests don't get disturbed. Some unscrupulous people try to collect them.

Excellent, says Gaius. I mean, what you do. Ah! Here comes Terence.

Good, says Richard Ligon. Is the snake with him?

I don't see him, says Gaius. But here's Nose! Nose! What are you doing back on dry land? Given up on the briny?

Nose nods, and sniffs, but says nothing.

Where's Tiny Sacrifice? asks young Richard Ligon.

On the beach eating a snack, says Terence. Hell be back in a minute. Then I'll have two parrots.

Is he a parrot? asks Julia. I like parrots.

No, he isn't says Terence.

Oh, I thought... says Julia.

So did I, says Terence.

No comments: