Friday, April 21, 2017

Sun Sand And Snorkel

Gaius is examining a dried sample of metastelma barbadensa.

Griff is looking at an illustrated dwarf poinciana. A flower he remembers.

Professor Tinto's head appears round the door.

Gentlemen! says Professor Tinto. I came back as soon as I realised I had a distinguished visitor.

Ah, say Gaius and Griff, at the same time.

I'm Winston Tinto, Professor of Organic Chemistry, says Professor Tinto. Where's young Richard Ligon? He's supposed to be helping you out.

He was, says Gaius. He's just hared off with our specimen. Very keen fellow.

Yes, I have great hopes for young Richard Ligon, says Professor Tinto. What do you think of our Herbarium?

Very fine, says Gaius. Are these the only two plants endemic to Barbados? The phyllanthus anderssonii and the metastelma barbadensa?

I believe so, says Professor Tinto, But my principal interests lie in the microbial diversity and metabolism of sponges, and bioprospecting for microalgae in fresh water, brackish water, and hot springs.

You don't say, says Gaius. Would that be with the aim of identifying high-lipid producing strains and
ultimately using microalgae in the production of biofuels?

Yes, says Professor Tinto. It would. Would you and your assistant care to join me for a cup of tea in my office, where we can chat further?

This is Griffith Hughes, says Gaius. He is my colleague, not my assistant. You may know of him. He wrote the famous Natural History of Barbados, in Ten Books.

Forgive me, says Professor Tinto.

Certainly. There were no photos in my day, says Griff.

Nor in mine, says Gaius.

The three men laugh at the thought of a time with no photos of authors.

A cup of tea would be welcome. A discussion of biofuels is certain to be productive.

And Professor Tinto thinks he might rustle up some biscuits.

Young Richard Ligon's abduction of Tiny Sacrifice is all but forgotten.

....

At the Waves Resort Hotel, young Richard Ligon is talking to Reception.

No, you can't go looking, says Reception. There are no snakes here.

It's the official position.

Mrs Thomas-Hume and Terence are passing through the foyer, on their way to the mini-bus.

Look, says Terence. A SNAKE BABY!

There, you see what I mean, says Reception. It's not a normal occurrence.

I know it isn't, says young Richard Ligon. That's why I'm here.

Come on, Terence! calls Mrs Thomas-Hume.

But Terence has run over to the glass beaker, on the counter in front of Reception.

He's lost, says Terence.

Tiny Sacrifice hears him, through the glass beaker.

Or the air. There's no lid on the beaker.

Yes I am lost, thinks Tiny Sacrifice. And this boy knows me.

COME ON TERENCE! Minibus is leaving! calls Mrs Thomas-Hume.

Tiny Sacrifice has jumped out of the beaker once before. He reenacts it.

He leaps onto Terence's head. Lands among the cement curls, just as Terence turns and runs to the minibus.

You could call it a close run thing.

See that, says Reception.

Who was the kid? asks young Richard Ligon. Where's he going?

Friend of mine, says Reception. I rescued him from the ocean last night. He's going on a catamaran cruise. Sun, Sand and Snorkel.

When will he get back? asks young Richard Ligon.

Five hours, says Reception. You can wait on the beach. You might find some snake tracks.

So he might! Good outcome! Young Richard Ligon couldn't be happier.

No comments: