Monday, May 1, 2017

No Person Shall

And your other parrot? asks Julia.

Nose, says Terence, pointing at Nose. She's not a proper one either.

Julia looks at Nose.

Nose! says Julia. I remember you. You came top of my class in Fisheries Management Regulations.

Yes, says Nose. I loved Fisheries Management Regulations. No person shall have, sell or purchase any turtle or part thereof; or turtle eggs. Any person so doing will be fined fifty thousand dollars and serve two years in prison.

Very good thing too, says Julia.

Very bad, says Terence. What about my parrot?

Exempt, says Julia.

Terence looks relieved. Tiny Sacrifice at this moment is out there in the warm sand, digging.

Reception brings out the coffee and a few coconut cakes on a saucer.

Tiny Sacrifice comes in, his mouth sticky with yellow yolk and cracked white shell bits.

Lucky, says Terence. You deserve two years in prison, but I saved you.

Thanks, says Tiny Sacrifice. But why?

Because you're my parrot, says Terence.

But why two years in prison? asks Tiny Sacrifice/his parrot.

For eating turtle egg, says Terence. You've got it all over your face.

It's not turtle egg, says Tiny Sacrifice. I couldn't find any. It's tree egg.

There's no such thing as tree egg, says Nose.

I suppose he means bird's egg says Gaius. Was it in a nest in a tree? This is most fascinating. Did you climb up there?

Yes, says Tiny Sacrifice. I didn't think I could do it.

It's evidence that your father was arboreal, says Gaius. Wouldn't you say so, Griff?

Oh....yes, says Griff, who is not really listening. He is thinking of heading into Bridgetown to look up an old female acquaintance, now that things are winding down nicely.

Anyway, says Julia, it wouldn't have mattered. This little chap's not a person. The Regulations refer only to persons. What's this about his father?

My father, wails Tiny Sacrifice. Where is he?

Don't make a scene. He didn't want you, says Griff.

Fine thing for a Christian to come out with!

I'm just heading off for a while, says Griff, getting up abruptly. I may be away for some time.

What does that mean? asks Gaius. Some time? Tonight? Tomorrow?

Tomorrow, says Griff.

He goes out to his bicycle, and cycles off towards Bridgetown.

As his legs pump, his heart beats: Rachel! Rachel!

The coconut cakes are finished. Evening is falling.

Julia asks Gaius about his plans for tomorrow.

First, the results of the DNA test, says Gaius. Then I suppose I should think about leaving.

What a shame, says Julia. I'm sure you can't have seen much of Barbados.

True, says Gaius. Mainly the University, and Gun Hill.

Gun Hill! Young Richard Ligon now has the clue he's been wanting.

The home of the Barbados racer. It must be Gun Hill.

He picks up the weeping Tiny Sacrifice and drops him into his coffee cup.

Just taking this cup out, says Richard Ligon.

He speeds up as he reaches the doorway. Grabs his bicycle. and heads for Gun Hill with the coffee cup and contents.

See that? says Terence. He took my parrot.

Yes, says Nose. Maybe he's not a real person.

Am I a real person? asks Terence.

I think not, says Nose. What are you thinking?

I can do ANYTHING, says Terence.


No comments: