Monday, May 8, 2017

Unnatural Metaphors

Having been down to the bottom of the sink hole (dark and mysterious), and up to the top again, they drop in on Anthony.

Come in, come in, did you enjoy the garden? asks Anthony. Find yourself comfy chairs. I'll get us some biscuits.

Griff, Rachel and Julia sit down.

Gaius pokes about a bit.  Anthony collects curios and knicknacks.

Giant seed pods, fluted shells, garlanded statues, purple orchids in pots, a large wardrobe.

He would love to know what's in the wardrobe.

Anthony returns with more rum punches, and sugary biscuits.

I shouldn't , says Rachel, taking three. I'm too big as it is.

You're beautiful, says Anthony, and let no one tell you any different. How are things with you anyway?

Very good, says Rachel I lecture part time at the University. How about you?

Oh same old same old, says Anthony. We get plenty of visitors. I started this garden in the fifties, you know.

It's wonderful, says Julia. But what else would you expect from a legendary horticulturalist?

I didn't think much of the classical music, says Griff. It's not natural.

Horticulture itself is not natural, says Anthony. The music is a metaphor.

What for? asks Griff.

Horticulture, says Anthony.

Time to change the subject.

Yes, says Rachel, gender studies are the way to go these days. I attract plenty of students, mainly female.

How about Lewis? asks Julia.

He lectures on masculinity issues, says Rachel. He gets plenty of women.

What are masculinity issues? asks Gaius, turning away from the wardrobe.

Oh... you know, says Rachel. Let me think now. Lewis says that the status of men and masculinity is inextricably linked to the crises and contradictions of capitalism.

Yes! Isn't everyone's? says Anthony.

But Lewis takes issue with what's-her-name, says Rachel. The one who argues that male masculinity is best showcased within female masculinity.

Whatever is that? asks Julia.

Something different from gender, says Rachel. I don't know. I won't touch it.

What fun though, says Julia.

Gaius takes a sugary biscuit.

What a day this is. And it's not over.

Anthony, may I ask you what's in the wardrobe?

Nothing much, says Anthony. Just some old stuffed reptiles. Are you interested in reptiles?

He opens the wardrobe, to reveal a stuffed Barbados racer, and a pair of pink fluffy slippers.

How embarrassing, says Anthony. I hope you don't think they're my slippers.


No comments: