Monday, May 15, 2017

Karma Is Maths

Rachel is tired of swimming. She heaves herself out of the sea.

Rachel! says Julia. You need a towel!

I'll be fine, says Rachel. I'll dry.

Yes, but.... says Julia. You're attracting attention. I'll see if I can borrow a towel.

A couple of surfers are standing nearby, estimating the swells.

Got a towel? asks Rachel. My friend....

Surfers never use towels, says the one we know, (but Julia doesn't), as Surfing-With-Whales.

Oh yes? says Julia. What about in the bathroom?

Fuck a duck! says Surfing-With-Whales. You should get with those two guys up there. They reckon god, like, you know, 'God' god, is a maths geek.

God-god? says Rachel. They do?

We know them, says Julia. They came here with us in my Mini.

No kidding, says Surfing-With-Whales. Why am I not surprised? Yeah, I know them. In fact, Gaius and me were on the same team once.

Are we just going to stand here? says Rachel. I need to get back to my clothes.

Your dress is ripped at the back, dear, says Julia. I noticed.

Drat, says Rachel. Oh well, this is where a turban comes in handy.

Surfing-with-Whales is impressed with her equanimity. She reminds him of his mother, Lauren Swales.

He walks up the beach with them, shielding Rachel from his own prying eyes with his long board.

Back again, says Gaius.

Yes, says Rachel. Now don't look, boys!

She takes off her turban. Her luxurious hair tumbles down.

She wraps the long strip of printed silk fabric round her top half. It isn't long enough to cover the bloomers.

That'll do, says Rachel. I don't suppose you remembered to bring me a cherry juice?

That's where you're wrong, says Griff. We brought you a cherry juice and three coconut bisc... no, no, we've eaten the biscuits.

Ha ha. So, God does maths, says Rachel. This young man was just telling us.

Yeah, says Surfing-With-Whales. But that's more like Karma.

Karma is a form of maths, says Julia. Sort of. You do something. You get payback.

No, that's economics, says Rachel.

Surfing-With-Whales has had enough of this shallow chatter.

Yeah well, I'm heading off to the Seaside Rum Shack. See ya's later.

Wait, says Gaius. I should like you to show me the beans.

What beans? says Surfing-With-Whales.

The Seaside Beans, says Gaius. I promised a sample to Anthony Hunte, at Hunte's Gardens.

Okay, says Surfing-With-Whales. Come with me.

If you're going to the Rum Shack, says Rachel, I'm coming too.

Me too, says Julia. Coming, Griff?

Yes, they are all coming. They trudge up the path to the car park.

Cool beach, says Surfing-With-Whales. Kelly Slater comes here, and Taylor Knox and the Malloy brothers...

Who? says Gaius. Should I know them?

Man! says Surfing-With-Whales. These guys are surf gods! Soup Bowl has this world class right point break when the swells are big. Look, these are Seaside Beans. Want some?

They just look like sweet peas, (Fabaceae), pretty racemes of pink and white flowers.

Abundant, and common. But yes, Gaius supposes he wants some.


No comments: