Tuesday, May 16, 2017

An Exemplary Man

Sit down, says Surfing-With-Whales. What's everyone having?

Fried fish, says Rachel. And rum.

Same, says Julia.

Gaius looks at the menu. Fried fish. Macaroni pie. Rice and peas. Bread and souse. Fish cutters.

A fish cutter, says Gaius. Whatever it is.

It's just a sandwich, says Julia. But I'm sure you'll love it. You'll want beer with that.

Will I? says Gaius. Why not? Griff what are you having?

Griff thinks, if fish cutters are sandwiches, he'll have bread and souse.

Surfing-With-Whales goes up to the bar to order.

Then he comes back with the drinks.

Yeah, says Surfing-With-Whales. This whole place is awesome. Less tourists. Fantastic surf. So what are you guys doing on this side of the island? You staying somewhere?

No, says Julia. I'm just showing Gaius around. Griff and Rachel tagged along with us. Rachel wanted to go swimming.

Yeah, bad luck her dress ripped says Surfing-With-Whales.

It ripped on a boulder, says Rachel. I stood up too quick. I'll fix it later.

I could fix it right now, says Surfing-With-Whales. I'm pretty handy with a needle.

Really? says Rachel. Masculinity studies?

No way! says Surfing-With-Whales. I help mum in her craft shop, in the off season. She makes surf bracelets.

Rachel hands him her parrot green dress.

Griff's bread and souse arrives, smelling porky.

He tries it. Mm. Very nice. What is souse exactly?

Pickled pig parts, says Rachel. We don't waste anything here.

Parts, says Griff. What parts?

Feet, snout, ears, says Rachel. Do you still want it?

I wish I'd ordered that, says Gaius.

Surfing-With-Whales has whipped out his needle and a length of clear fishing line from the pocket of his boardies.

Julia and Rachel sit watching him, smiling. An exemplary man.

You said you and Gaius were on the same team once, says Julia.

Yep, says Surfing-With-Whales. Tour Down Under, Tour de France. Yeah...

No kidding! says Julia. You ride at that level. And you, Gaius?

Indeed, says Gaius. In fact, I should be thinking of getting in a bit of practice.

His fish cutter arrives.

That looks nice, says Griff.

(It looks like a normal fish burger. No feet, snout or ears, fish don't have them.... ).

Where are we in the racing calendar? asks Gaius.

The middle of the Giro, says Julia.

Already! says Gaius.

Trust you not to know, says Surfing-With-Whales, stitching the green silk fabric roughly.

Oi, says Rachel. Watch what you're doing!

No worries, says Surfing-With-Whales, paying attention to the frayed edges.

Are you in it this year, Gaius? asks Julia.

Undoubtedly, says Gaius. I ride for Team Philosophe. Well, I say that, sometimes I'm pipped out by a
visiting philosopher.

Then what? says Julia.

Team Condor will usually have me, says Gaius. Failing that, Team Parrot, or Team Crustacean. But they're not my preferred options.

I can understand that, says Julia.

What do you do, Julia? asks Surfing-with-Whales, licking his finger.

I manage the Sea Turtle Project, at the Uni, says Julia.

Coolio! says Surfing-With-Whales. There's a nesting beach north of Bathsheba.

I know, says Julia.

Tell you what, says Surfing-With-Whales. We could go there.

No we couldn't, says Julia. It's my job to make sure no one disturbs them.

It's your day off though, says Surfing-With-Whales.

No. Says Julia. Even on my day off I won't disturb nesting sea turtles.

Good woman, says Surfing-With-Whales.

He bites off the thread. It's fishing line. How does he do it?

That's not for me to explain.

He hasn't done a bad job though. Rachel is happy.


No comments: