Sunday, May 14, 2017

God Is Totally Grinning

Julia has gone down to the edge of the water, to try and attract Rachel's attention.

Rachel is rising and submerging, like a small whale.

And the waves are increasing in magnitude to the joy of the surfers.

Gaius and Griff sit on the flat sand, debating the pros and cons of being idle.

This is the life, says Griff.  I wonder if she'll eat all these biscuits.

You know she will, says Gaius. After swimming, she'll be hungry.

I could be happy here, says Griff.

I couldn't, says Gaius. Life is too.....what do they call it?

Laid back, says Griff. 

Exactly, says Gaius. And what does one see, lying back?

Sky and birds, says Griff.

Besides that, says Gaius, losing the argument.

Whatever's up there, says Griff. Don't you sometimes wonder? Your gods for example.

I know one thing, says Gaius They are not on Barbados. They are far too busy. Not that I believe in them nowadays.

I believe, says Griff.

A wonderful generalisation, says Gaius. In what?

God, says Griff, dreamily. There are at least five reasons.

Pooh, scoffs Gaius. Give me just one. 

Mathematics, says Griff, unexpectedly.

He is still looking up at the sky.

Gaius is too, at this moment.

And it may have little to do with mathematics, but there is more up there than just birds and sky.

A face is dripping down upon Gaius.

Shit-a-brick! Is that you, Gaius?

Gaius sits up, squinting. Who has interrupted the discussion about religion and maths?

Neptune's knob! It's Surfing-With-Whales.

What're you doing here? asks Surfing-With-Whales. Chilling? That's not like you.

Having a day off, says Gaius. And believe me, I'm beginning to find it quite tedious. I should be back at the University checking the DNA results for a hybrid Barbados racer. I should be collecting Seaside Beans. I should...

I'd forgotten about the Seaside Beans, says Griff. I'm Griffith Hughes by the way. Naturalist and author.

Seaside Beans, says Surfing-With-Whales. They're bloody everywhere. I'll grab you a bunch if you want 'em.

Sit down, says Gaius. We were having a theological discussion, involving the relationship between God and mathematics.

Fuck, says Surfing-With-Whales. 

No need for that, says Gaius.

No shit, says Surfing-With-Whales. He stands up and heads back to the sea with his surfboard.

Unbelievable!

Who is that rude fellow? says Griff.

Surfing-With-Whales, says Gaius. Friend of Sweezus. Nice chap. Lent his board shorts to Nietzsche, last summer. Only his second best pair. Still....

God, says Griff, to continue, is the only being who could have come up with mathematics, because mathematics exists independent of physical reality.

That doesn't prove anything, says Gaius. What say we eat these coconut biscuits? Rachel won't mind.

Mm, if you think so, says Griff.

They eat the three biscuits, divided fairly, by breaking the third one in half.

Should there be a mathematically-minded God, he would be totally grinning.

No comments: