Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Rejected

Do you want those? asks Rachel.

These old slippers? No, of course not, says Anthony. I don't know how they got there.

I'll borrow them if you don't mind, says Rachel. My sandals are pinching.

You can't go to Bathsheba Beach wearing pink fluffy slippers, says Julia.

Just in the car, says Rachel.

Is that where you're heading? asks Anthony. Bathsheba?

Yes, says Julia. Don't worry. I'm okay to drive.

Are you sure? asks Anthony. Those rum punches.....

Tell you what, says Julia. I might wait a while.

Then you must have a fruit juice, offers Anthony. And you others may as well keep drinking rum punches. How about it?

Sure, says Rachel. Why not? You too, Griffy?

Griff is watching Gaius. Gaius is fingering the stuffed Barbados racer, in the wardrobe.

I ought not to have that stuffed snake, says Anthony. They're extinct now.

Perhaps I could take it, says Gaius.

Please do, says Anthony. It's a good specimen. You may as well do something with it.

I have something in mind for it, says Gaius.

Anthony pours more rum punches, and one fruit juice.

What do you have in mind for it? asks Rachel.

A comfort for Tiny Sacrifice, says Gaius. He has been rejected by both his parents.

Oh? says Rachel. My heart bleeds for him. I was, well..... hardly rejected, but you know what I mean. How I would have loved my own Barbados racer to scare off my father. A real one would have been even better. Is Tiny Sacrifice under your protection?

He is, says Gaius. Although, last night he was abducted by young Richard Ligon. In a coffee cup!

Perhaps you should have a fruit juice, says Anthony. In a coffee cup! That's absurd!

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. Tiny Sacrifice is not a child. He is a young snakeling.

Is that the right word? asks Julia. Snakeling? Isn't it snakelet?

Snakelet, says Rachel. Yes, it has to be snakelet.

Griff decides to say something funny.

I'll buy you a snakelet, says Griff. You can wear it round your turban.

Round my turban? cries Rachel.

Griff means a necklet, says Julia. Or an anklet. Or a bracelet. Not a snakelet. Imagine that on your turban.

What? cries Rachel, standing up quickly.

Nothing, dear. We must be going, says Julia.

Anthony regrets giving them those extra rum punches.

Bathsheba Beach is a wild place, with strong swirling currents, and huge rocks, shaped like animals.

Too rough for swimming, especially if they go near the Soup Bowl.

I know, (thinks Anthony). I'll give them a horticultural task. That will keep them busy and out of danger.

Seeing as you're going, says Anthony, and will be returning this way, would you mind dropping off this bag of seed pods to Iris Bannochie at Andromeda Gardens, Bathsheba?

He picks up a random bag of seed pods, marked Pride of Barbados.

Delighted, says Gaius, taking the seed pods.

And perhaps you could bring back some cuttings, says Anthony. Some Seaside Beans would be welcome.

Certainly, says Gaius. What do they look like?

Beans! says Rachel. Come on!  I want to go swimming!

She pulls off her sandals and puts on the fluffy pink slippers,

Don't let her go swimming, says Anthony to Julia.

She'll be fine, says Julia, as Rachel trips out to the car.

No comments: