Friday, May 5, 2017

Not For Glory But Science

Rachel Pringle Polgreen! exclaims Julia.

Julia! exclaims the woman in the large turban and parrot green dress.

You know each other? says Griff, popping out from behind Rachel Pringle Polgreen.

Yes, says Julia. Rachel lectures part time at the University.

I didn't know that, says Griff. You are a woman of parts.

Some you don't know, says Rachel.

This is Gaius, says Julia. He's having a day off from being a natural historian.

Nice to meet you, says Gaius. What is your field of study?

Gender and Development, says Rachel. In particular, Women and Slavery in the Caribbean.

Wooh! Wooh!

It is time to get back on the train.

As the cave train loops back to the entrance, Julia whispers:

So, Rachel was your dubious woman.

It was something Griff said, says Gaius. I must have got the wrong impression.

Maybe you didn't, entirely, says Julia. She has a long history, and she loves to talk about it. We all adore her. You will too.

Gaius is not sure about that.

The train stops. The cave tour is over.

Now for Hunte's Gardens, says Julia. Are they coming with us in the Mini?

Yes, we're coming! says Rachel, puffing up the platform, with Griff in tow.

I thought you had your own transport, says Gaius.

No, we took a taxi up here, says Rachel.

Will we all fit? asks Griff, eyeing the Mini.

Course we will, says Rachel. Griffy, give my arse a push, will you.

Griff pushes and squeezes, until Rachel is inside, but her turban is causing a problem.

Can't turn my head, says Rachel.

Take the turban off, says Griff. I'll help you.

No, says Rachel. It's an integral part of my person. I'll wear it, and only look forward.

See, says Julia. She's one tough lady.

I see, says Gaius. How far to these Gardens?

Not far, says Julia. Are you properly in, Griff?

No, says Rachel. He isn't. And I can't move over.

Honestly! says Julia. Griff, can you sit sideways or something?

Legs apart! says Rachel. I'll accommodate him.

Griff wriggles himself into the space available.

Gaius frowns in the front seat, picturing the backseat tableau.

This is what happens when you get too involved with the ladies.

They put you in certain positions.

And pretend that it's logical.

Tell me, Gaius, says Rachel, why you came to Barbados.

I'm sure Griff has already told you, says Gaius.

No, he hasn't, says Rachel. He's been too...oops!...busy.

Griff gurgles, in the back seat. What is he doing?

The short answer is, we came in search of the Barbados racer.

But they're extinct, man!

Thought to be. All the more reason to keep looking.

For the glory?

Not for myself, but for natural science.

Come on, you men suck up the glory. I know.

Gaius does not wish to argue. He knows he has never sought glory, but only the serious dissemination of knowledge. Cupid's crumpet!

Enjoying your visit, Griff? asks Julia, over her shoulder.

Yurgle, says Griff.

He is, says Rachel. He was just saying to me only this morning, the Lord guides him, in Barbados.

My golly! says Julia. What to be doing?

To GO for it, says Rachel. Good for the Lord being so open-minded. It ain't usual.

Griff doesn't like his private confidences aired in a Mini.

He changes the subject.

Are we there yet?

Nearly, says Julia.

No comments: