Sunday, February 25, 2018

Coming To Terms With Impermanence

Gaius has run out of apples.

Margaret has driven into Kingston to buy sandwiches.

I'd have preferred a meat pie, says Gaius.

It would have been cold by the time she got back, says the Ranger.

You're right. I should look on the bright side, says Gaius. While she's away, we can continue our conversation.

I should like to, says the Ranger. What was that about pool salt?

The latest discovery, says Gaius. It seems, from research done at the University of Newcastle, a little pool salt in the water increases the Golden Bell Frogs' chances of survival. It may well be true for other frog species.

What does it do? asks the Ranger.

Blocks the rate of transmission of the chytridiomycosis fungus, says Gaius.

Fascinating, says the Ranger. Well, I suppose I should be getting on with my ranging. Enjoy your sandwiches.

I shall, assuming they don't contain traces of tomato, says Gaius.

Not fond of tomatoes? asks the Ranger.

Not fond of poison! says Gaius.

Nyuh! says the Ranger. The only possible response in the circumstances. He likes tomatoes.

The Ranger goes off.

Saint Roley comes back with several tiny wild turnips.

Best I can do, says Saint Roley.

I have been thinking , says Gaius. We are not getting far, here in the Coorong.

Especially now, says Saint Roley.

True, says Gaius. Katherine has left us. Terence has left us.

The red potato has left us, says Saint Roley. I wonder how the red potato is faring?

As we all must, says Gaius.

What do you mean? asks Saint Roley.

Coming to terms with impermanence, says Gaius.

Saint Roley likes this answer.

What to do in the meantime? says Saint Roley.

Continual reinvention, says Gaius. I find myself turning my attention to the plight of the world's vanishing frogs. How would you like to go to Newcastle?

I'm flattered to be asked, says Saint Roley. But first, I must ask this: Do oystercatchers ever eat frogs? I don't wish to become a liability.

I think not, says Gaius. Worms, yes. Frogs, not likely. And surely you could restrain yourself?

I suppose so, says Saint Roley. It's just that, I am constantly hungry.

I'm feeling peckish myself, says Gaius. Margaret will be back soon, bearing sandwiches.

But Margaret will not be, due to a series of unfortunate events:

Standing in a lunchtime queue in a bakery in Kingston, she has seen a dish of broken scones on the counter. She dearly likes scones. These ones contain plump sultanas. Mm. Why not try one? She reaches forward to take one just as the person in front of her (Darren) is turning to see if his partner (Raelene) has arrived after parking their Toyota. Margaret's fist strikes the moving face of Darren. Darren falls to the floor of the bakery hitting his head on the lino. Raelene sees Margaret punch Darren. She rushes forward and makes a karate move on Margaret. The move is Osoto Gari, which brings Margaret down. Margaret and Darren both need medical attention.


No comments: