Friday, February 2, 2018

Pointless Flying

Blood spots.

No more parrot footprints.

This is no good.

Terence is about to turn back and tell Gaius what has happened.

But he doesn't know what has happened.

He scoops up a blood spot. It crumbles. The red particles drift away.

Perhaps it was the blood of Saint Roley.

Terence hears a flutter. And a phoom!

It's Saint Roley, landing in front of him, his orange beak glowing in the late slanting afternoon sun.

Did you win? asks Terence.

I wasn't fighting, says Saint Roley. Well I was, then I wasn't. Sit down and I'll tell you.

Terence sits down in the sand.

I was strolling with the red necked stints, says Saint Roley. Soon we were joined by a common greenshank and a black winged stilt. We continued to speak of our travels, for the red necked stints had come from Siberia via China, and I had come from northern France, so we had tales to tell one another.

The greenshank and the stilt began to mock us. Why go to all that trouble, ha ha, why not stay here, it's nice in the Coorong. We told them it was less nice than they think, and at least we had the means of comparison.

They became squabbly. We have more energy, they told us. You lose yours through all that pointless flying back and forth for no good reason.

 I said, (and I realise I should have kept quiet), actually, guys, I travelled by plane, on a free Parrot Passport.

They all looked aghast, and began pecking me, until I said loudly, Any bird can obtain a Parrot Passport. There is this man in Saint Malo.....

They became interested, even the greenshank and the stilt. They asked if they could apply.

I said yes of course, and gave them the details. They flew off, to spread the good news, I suppose.

So you did win, says Terence. You're the BEST parrot. Was that your blood?

O, you noticed, says Saint Roley. I'm still bleeding. Help me back to the camp site.

Retracing his own footprints, Terence helps Saint Roley back to the camp site.

Only Gaius is there with the apples.

What has happened! cries Gaius. You're bleeding.

Nothing much, says Saint Roley. No need to panic. The red necked stints and I got on so well we exchanged blood feathers on parting.

A noble touch, says Gaius.  Sit down and rest now. Have an apple core.

Terence looks at Saint Roley with renewed admiration.

He's so good at lying.

No comments: