Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Why We Work Backwards

The common greenshanks and the curlew sandpipers freeze. A hammer!

Answer! say Terence.

But they won't answer.

What do we do now? asks Terence.

Wittgenstein feels obliged to turn his attention to this question.

He decides to work backwards.

Luckily a seagull is hovering.

Squark! says the seagull.

Terence looks up.

Put the hammer down, says the seagull.

Terence puts the hammer down.

Put the hammer down, says Wittgenstein.

I did, says Terence.

We appear to have reached the same conclusion, says Wittgenstein. Did you work backwards?

Why would I? says Terence.

In order to resolve the situation, says Wittgenstein. The birds were not frozen before. Therefore...

I obeyed the seagull, says Terence. He sounded like grandpa.

Did I? asks the seagull. I'll take that as a compliment. By the way, the greenshanks and sandpipers have also worked backwards.

So they have. They have melted away.

Terence picks up the hammer.

Stupid hammer.

It was USELESS.

........

Margaret has arrived at the campsite, expecting to see Gaius.

Katherine is sitting in the narrow shade of the tent, reading her novel.

Katherine! says Margaret. Where's Gaius?

Back where I left him, says Katherine. I asked if he wanted to come but he was adamant.

Hum, says Margaret. I've just seen Terence. He said Gaius brought him.

Perhaps you put the question in an ambiguous manner, says Katherine.

Tch! says Margaret. I am never ambiguous.

No, says Katherine. You probably aren't. What's that you're clutching?

Oh this. A blood cockle fossil, says Margaret. Ludwig's so interested. He's still back there, chipping. I shouldn't have left him.

But you thought Gaius was here. Really, Margaret.

I know, says Margaret. Gaius annoys me.

And you annoy him, says Katherine.

I just want him to show a little interest, says Margaret.

He's interested in fossils, says Katherine. Is that one rare?

Not that rare, says Margaret.

She and Katherine glare at the blood cockle fossil.

The blood cockle fossil remains stony-faced.

It's not its fault.


No comments: