Sunday, February 11, 2018

I Haven't Found One Yet

Will Terence meet a rednecked avocet on the beach in the short time allotted?

We don't know yet.

And why is a short time allotted?

Because Katherine is coming up behind him.

Terence! says Katherine. Come back!

Terence turns around and sees Katherine.

What?

I'm going for a short drive up the coast. Would you like to come with me?

No, says Terence.

I'm looking for a rednecked avocet.
I haven't found one yet.
I'm upset.

O Terence, says Katherine, what a lovely poem. But... where is your potato?

Buried in the sand, says Terence. Somewhere back there.

That seems risky, says Katherine. Anything might happen.

Nothing might happen, says Terence.

Then you may as well come with me, says Katherine. I'm driving up the coast to see Margaret and Ludwig. I left my book there last night. We can ask them if they've spotted any avocets.

Okay, says Terence.

He follows Katherine back to the campsite.

On the way they pass the red parrot potato.

Saint Roley and the sandpipers have left it there, half buried.

Isn't that your potato? asks Katherine.

No, says Terence.

He continues walking with Katherine back to the campsite.

Gaius is there with Saint Roley.

We must get a move on, says Gaius. Collect as much filamentous green algae as you can.

Righto! says Saint Roley. O, hello Terence. Did you find a rednecked avocet?

No. Where's my red parrot potato? asks Terence.

Back there where you left it, says Saint Roley.

You were supposed to look after it, says Terence.

I did, says Saint Roley. It didn't need anything. It looked happy. I told it you were coming.

Now I have to go back, says Terence.

He heads back to find his potato.

Hurry up, says Katherine. I want to leave in a minute.

Where are you off to? asks Gaius.

I told you, says Katherine. I'm going to pick up my novel from Margaret's campsite. I left it there last night.

Yes, yes, says Gaius. You told me. Did you leave it on purpose?

Of course not, says Katherine.

Terence has reached his potato.

The potato stirs in the sand.

Its peduncles are drooping.

Its wrinkled potato face has cracked. A mouth has formed.

The mouth is silent but anyone can see that the mouth is saying NO.

Okay, says Terence. I'm sorry.

The mouth softens.

Terence picks up the potato. It is wet on the bottom, and the damp peduncles are not drooping.

A few have fallen out and remain stuck in the sand.

It was because I couldn't find any feathers, says Terence. So you didn't have any feathers, so you didn't look like you. So I said you weren't my red parrot potato.

Terence kisses his red parrot potato. Pwsoosch!

He has learned a lesson.

So has the potato.

No comments: