Saturday, February 24, 2018

Short Red Interruption

 Margaret is searching the campsite.

What are you doing? says Gaius.

Looking for Katherine's red shorts, says Margaret.

Tried the sand dunes? says Saint Roley.

Why would they be in the sand dunes? says Margaret.

Who knows? says Saint Roley. But it seems they're not here.

Margaret stomps off into the sand dunes, scanning the nooks and crannies in the native vegetation for Katherine's red shorts.

Peace at last, says Gaius. Although I fear it will be short lived.

Depends, says Saint Roley.

Crunch crunch. It's the shoes of the Ranger. And the Ranger is in them.

Just dropping these seeds off, says the Ranger. Where's that young boy?

Gone back to Adelaide to perform in a play, says Gaius. What seeds?

Red parrot pea seeds, says the Ranger. Tell him if he plants them he'll see red parrot pea flowers in October.

Very kind of you, says Gaius.

What's all this? says the Ranger. Filamentous green algae?

For my collection, says Gaius.

Keep collecting, says the Ranger. You might look out for other potential threats while you're about it.

Potential threats? says Gaius. Would you mind listing them? I have a geology pencil.

Do you? asks the Ranger. That sounds like a good pencil. I suppose it's waterproof and fade resistant?

Indeed, says Gaius. But I must admit, it's not my own pencil.

You found it? asks the Ranger.

No, says Gaius. I was lent it by a lady geologist.

Not that one who I met...?

Very probably.

Is she here now?

She's looking for a pair of shorts in the sand dunes.

Perhaps I should assist her?

No, she is perfectly competent. Sit down. Give me the list.

Shall I make a copy? asks Saint Roley.

What with? asks Gaius.

The oily twig, says Saint Roley.

Might as well, says Gaius.

The Ranger clears his throat.

Potential threats: red-eared slider, black-spined toad, oriental weather loach, cabomba, didymo...

How do you spell didymo? asks Saint Roley.

Just write rock snot, says the Ranger. Same thing.

Saint Roley writes: ^^

It doesn't look right.

Does rock snot have a hyphen?

Dear me, says Gaius. What a list, and I suppose that's not even the half of it.

We do our best, sighs the Ranger. Danger is everywhere. Even the common Southern Bell Frog is mysteriously disappearing.

Chytridiomycosis? Have you tried pool salt? asks Gaius.

No, is that something......?

Yoo hoo! I've found them! cries Margaret, interrupting this delightful scientific exchange of ideas with her loud voice and her unnecessarily energetic waving of a pair of Women's Vintage Red Regatta Basic Shorts.


No comments: