Sunday, February 18, 2018

Save Me Ray Moon

Katherine is driving. Wittgenstein is in the passenger seat

Terence is in the back with the red parrot potato.

I ought to stop off at the campsite to pick up my belongings, says Katherine. Pity.

I thought you had them, says Wittgenstein. The novel, the bag of Carisma potatoes.

My sensible clothes, says Katherine.

Are they red? asks Terence.

One pair of shorts, says Katherine.

You could ask Margaret to pick them up on her way through, says Wittgenstein.

I could, says Katherine. Good idea, Ludwig.

But we need them, says Terence.

I have plenty of shorts back in Adelaide, says Katherine. And I don't wear the red ones.

Why did you bring them? asks Wittgenstein.

He is genuinely interested.

In case I became lost in the sand hills, says Katherine. I could be more easily spotted.

WE NEED THEM, says Terence.

Why? asks Katherine.

For a costume, says Terence.

Vello will give you a costume, says Katherine.

Terence won't need a costume, says Wittgenstein. He's only providing the voice. The potato already has a costume.

The red parrot potato is glad this has been pointed out. He has suffered a great deal for his costume. Imagine if Terence should shroud him in old lady's shorts.

People will see me, says Terence.

You'll be voices off, says Wittgenstein.

He knows all about voices off. He quite likes the theatre.

I'm having a costume, says Terence. And I'm having a voice costume.

There's no such thing, says Katherine.

Yus thur is! says Terence deeply.

Well you don't need my red shorts today, says Katherine. We can't see you anyway. Go ahead and practise.

Okay.

Terence thinks about the Bright Red Object (a sheep swimming) and what it was last year that he had to say.

NOTHING!

Wah! says Terence. I've got nothing to do.

I'm sure Vello with give you a line or two, says Katherine. Let's workshop it.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

Make something up and see if it works, says Katherine. Tell your potato to start swimming.

The potato, who was confident about swimming, faces a difficulty.

The back seat is dry.

He's trying, says Terence. But he's not moving.

Doesn't matter, says Wittgenstein. It's the voice costume we're working on now.

So, Terence, try and imagine what the Bright Red Object might be saying, says Katherine.

This is rubbish, says Terence.

Meaning what he might be saying? asks Katherine.

Both, says Terence.

Try something else, suggests Wittgenstein.

Terence thinks. He's a red sheep belonging to Sweezus. Not Sweezus, Candide. Sweezus was playing Candide. No wait, Sweezus went surfing. Ray Moon played Candide last year.

Save me, Ray Moon, says Terence.

What was that? asks Katherine.

SAVE ME RAY MOON, says Terence.

How to puzzle everyone, says Katherine.

No comments: