Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Fish Motto

Spike and Terence go back up the stairs.

That was a bad idea, says Spike.

Your bad idea, says Terence.

Yours, says Spike.

How was I to know? says Terence. I wanted to catch ten live ones. But you were in a hurry.

At least the wombat got something, says Spike.

Yes, says Terence. The wombat was grateful. He blessed me.

I must have missed that, says Spike.

They are now back at the row of recliners.

No grown ups are there.

But soon Katherine and Margaret appear.

Katherine is carrying a plate with two slices of cake.

There's nowhere to put it down safely, says Katherine.

Try the arm rest, says Margaret.

What if we knock it? says Katherine.

It won't be there for long, says Margaret. Surely you're going to eat it. I'm eating mine.

I shouldn't have had that creamy mushroom and spinach pasta, says Katherine. I should have had the seafood medley, like you.

Always order the fish, says Margaret. That's my motto.

Eat your cake now, if you want to, says Katherine. I'll save mine for a late night nibble.

Which one is mine? asks Margaret. Aren't we sharing?

Cut them in half, says Katherine.

What with? says Margaret.

My cheese knife, says Katherine. Terence has it.

Does Terence still have the cheese knife?

He does. He is sitting with Spike, three seats up, showing her the cheese knife.

Spike is admiring the stainless steel blade and the ergonomic mango wood handle.

I wish I knew you had this, says Spike. We could have let your parrot out. Why didn't you tell me?

Terence! calls Katherine. Bring the cheese knife. I need it to cut up some cake.

Terence pretends he hasn't heard her.

You're getting cake, says Spike. Don't you want it?

It won't be for me, says Terence. I have delicate innards.

You look like you're made of cement, says Spike. Do you even have innards?

How would I know? says Terence.

I like cake, says Spike. You could say you want some.

Okay, says Terence.

He takes the cheese knife over to Katherine, who examines it carefully for traces of Jinjing.

No visible traces.

She cuts the two slices in half.

Sticky lumps of Chocolate Mudcake and Passionfruit Cheesecake adhere to the knife.

I want some, says Terence.

You don't, says Katherine.

For my friend, says Terence.

But Katherine won't offer cake to a child whose parents are absent.


No comments: