Monday, September 2, 2019

Red Before This Happened

It is just as we feared.

Mouldy was sprayed with blue dye in Hong Kong and arrested.

It wasn't me! says Mouldy. I was just cycling through the airport.

The blue dye says otherwise, says the Hong Kong policeman. Blue dye equals guilty.

That's not fair, says Mouldy.

You have one phone call, says the Hong Kong policeman. Don't waste it.

Mouldy considers. Should he call Chen?

No. She is a little girl and should be protected.

Should he call Gaius?

No. Gaius will be in the air, out of reach.

Does he know anyone in Hong Kong? No. But he knows someone in China.

Sikong Shu, who returned to China with Ar-Lu-Lun, the new peacock spider.

Sikong Shu, says Mouldy. He lives in China.

What is his number? asks the Hong Kong policeman.

I don't know. But he's a famous Middle Tang poet, says Mouldy.

That Sikong Shu! says the Hong Kong policeman. Why didn't you say so?

I just said so, says Mouldy. Could you call him for me? He'll remember me falling into Lake Clifton and learning acceptance.

Is that so? says the Hong Kong policeman. After you've spoken to him, may I have a word?

Who would refuse a Hong Kong policeman?

The Hong Kong policeman searches for Sikong Shu's number and finds it quickly. He dials the number and hands Mouldy the phone.

Hello, says Sikong Shu, in China.

It's me, Mouldy, says Mouldy, in Hong Kong.

Is something amiss? asks Sikong Shu.

I'm in Hong Kong and I've just been arrested, says Mouldy.

Celestial crumpets! says Sikong Shu. What for?

Cycling though the airport and being sprayed blue, says Mouldy.

Ask if you can be expedited to China, says Sikong Shu, thinking quickly.

Okay, says Mouldy. Stay on the line. The Hong Kong policeman wants a word.

Certainly, says Sikong Shu. Put him on.

Master, says the Hong Kong policeman.

No, says Sikong Shu. This is Sikong Shu.

I have long admired you, says the Hong Kong policeman. And I was wondering if you would hear my humble poem.

Certainly, says Sikong Shu. Go ahead, I'm listening.

With no neighbour but the quiet night
Here I live in the same old cottage
And as raindrops brighten yellow leaves
The lamp illumines my white head.....

Stop, says Sikong Shu. I have heard it before.

Just checking, says the Hong Kong policeman. So, you really are the great Sikong Shu. Will you vouch for this pebble?

Certainly, says Shu. Although I knew him but briefly.

That's enough for me, says the Hong Kong policeman. He's now free to go.

Go where? asks Mouldy. I'm all alone here.

He says he's all alone here, says the Hong Kong policeman.

Tell him to come to me, says Sikong Shu. Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xiching District, Beijing.

You are most fortunate, says the Hong Kong policeman, to Mouldy.

If you say so, says Mouldy.

He cycles away on his blue bicycle that was red before all this happened.

No comments: