Saturday, September 14, 2019

Moderately Happy

Did you make these holes? asks Katherine.

I only wanted to SEE it, says Terence.

My button, thinks Jinjing. How will I speak?

I'm sure we can mend it, says Katherine.

Margaret returns to the car.

Toilets are over there, Katherine, says Margaret.

Katherine gets out and starts walking. Then she turns back.

There's been a small incident, says Katherine.

Don't tell me, says Margaret. With the cheese knife?

Never mind what with, says Katherine. Have you brought a sewing kit? Jinjing needs a few stitches.

I have, says Margaret. You go. We'll be driving on board soon.

Katherine goes. Margaret gets out her sewing kit.

Terence is watching.

It has black and white threads, scissors and two needles.

Jinjing doesn't like needles, says Terence.

You mean you don't, says Margaret.

She upends Jinjing.

I see the problem, says Margaret. His button's askew. I'll just ...oops! It's broken!

You killed him! cries Terence.

Jinjing does not feel this is true. He is still sentient. He can smell the ocean.

That's too bad, says Margaret. It's too late to do much about it. I'll sew up the holes.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch-ee!

She sews up the two holes and snips the thread with the scissors.

There we are, says Margaret. Good as new, except that he can't repeat what you say now. That may not be a bad thing.

Wah! says Terence. He knew all the alphabet. What if someone asks me?

Learn it yourself, says Margaret. How do you like my sewing job?

Terence looks at the sewing job. It's neat but...

THE WRONG COLOUR!

You used white! says Terence. He's got two white spots near his bottom!

Hush, says Margaret. I had the choice of black or white. I thought white less obtrusive.

But he's green, says Terence.

He looks happy enough, says Margaret

Jinjing has slipped into a toy parrot coma, brought on by multiple trauma.

We may suppose he looks moderately happy.

No comments: